Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

*new here* I am wading thru a bunch of S**T legal and from BD

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello Ladies, my name is Dawn I am 27 and a single mom to a wonderful 2 year old boy. I am also a full time college student and start work TUESDAY... hooray mommy will finally have money. lol.

So my sons father has been absent for the better part of 2yrs. He came around maybe 5 times total and everytime I paid for gas, food, lodging and normally put out. I thought I needed to keep hiim in my sons life. Well when I quit he never saw my son again. Now suddenly he wants visitation. And I have been told by some common friends that he is going to snatch my son. So I am now paranoid, and dont want him around. I dont want visitation my son doesnt know this man and he has never shown interest. Well I was told that legally I dont have to let him see my son until he files for legal rights. I am not sure if this is true.... And I dont want to show up in court guilty of witholding visitation. SO I told the SOB that I would do visitation only at the visitation center, where I feel safe and my son is safe. That way Zack(my son) just thinks we are going to play and if the "father" stops showing he wont be confused. Well he refused is that ok? Am I in the clear? Do I just wait and see if he decideds he does want that option?

by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM

bump..I really have no clue but it seems like if he has made threats to snatch your son you should be able to get a protection order.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Welcome to the group.

Is his name on the birth certificate? Has legal paternity been established? I would contact a lawyer, many do a free consult. I'm assuming you're not on welfare because usually they stick their fat head in all this stuff and proceed for you...?

USAFamily
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM

From what I know (and I am not completely positive) unless legal custody has been determined and you have a legal document who has your son when, you do not have to let him see your son. That said, if/when you do go to court, it can backfire because a judge can see that negatively.

Good luck!

Pink_caffiene
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Well he is not on BC and childsupport does not help with any of this =/ I told him we could set up visits at the family visitation center and as of about 20min ago he declined. Told me the court will decide. So I tried and he said no.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM
File before he does. Establish paternity and request supervised visitation since you are afraid of parental kidnapping. Better to be the first than let him get his way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 9, 2011 at 5:34 PM
You can get an order of protection for yourself and your son.
If he's not on the BC I think he would need to prove paternity and all that.

If you aren't already... document everything from here on out. Write down when you offer to do visitations. Write down when he refuses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ClaribelC
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 12:21 AM
Your son is smaller than 4 years so he will only get supervised visitation! :). I agree w other posters. Get lawyer!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Bump, sorry I dont have much advice from you, maybe call your local friend of the court?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)