Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Did you prepare your toddler for pre-school?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM
  • 6 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - What did you do to prepare for pre-school?

4 Things I'm Not Doing for Pre-School Prep, But Probably Should

Posted by April Peveteaux
on September 11, 2011

pre-school prepMy two-and-a-half-year-old is starting pre-school this week. He's my baby, and he's heading off on this big boy adventure and I honestly cannot believe it. Mostly because he just seems so little! Not like a kid who can sit in a circle and actually learn. However, I have the utmost confidence in him that he'll be able to chill with the rest of the kids once he's been somewhat tamed by these brave pre-school teachers. I, however, will be doing nothing to help facilitate. At least not according to all of these "how to prepare your child for pre-school" lists.

I mean, really. It's pre-school. They're coloring and singing songs, right? Why must I actually prep that kid, when we we could just hang out and enjoy these last moments of babyhood together?

Here are four things I won't be doing to get ready for this week.

1. Potty Training

Believe me, we try. But actually having this kid ready to go in a week? That is not gonna' happen. Luckily we're at one of those developmental schools where they let them go at their own pace. I just hope they understand my kid has a very specific pace: slow.

2. Implementing a Goodbye Routine

I don't even really know what this means. But I do know the advice is to say goodbye lovingly, but firmly. Don't linger or be too clingy. Practice leaving and returning. Honestly, my kid would wonder what the heck I was doing hiding outside the front door if we played this game. He'll get used to it -- starting this week.

3. Telling Him What to Expect

How much can a toddler remember when he hasn't even been inside the school? If I start describing the art studio and telling him he's going to have crayons and paints, he'll have no frame of reference and wonder why I keep going on and on about his colors. Telling him he's starting pre-school is like telling him we're going to the moon. The kid has no clue, and there's really nothing I can tell him that will make him understand until he's right in the middle of the classroom.

4. Reading to Him

We already do this, and don't need to be told to do so. Do people actually not read to their kids? How is that possible?

Maybe I'm doing my kid a disservice by not going through all the pre-school prep, but honestly this is pre-school and he's two. It's not like he's heading off to Harvard. Excuse me while we go enjoy some popsicles before the big day.

Did you prepare your toddler for pre-school?

by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I did all that stuff but my dd has been going to school since she was 1 so it wasn't a difficult transaction for her. It was more exciting than scary.

Andeigh
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM
My kids didn't go to preschool. I don't think that its that unreasonable to have a child potty trained before they start school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM
Landon starts next week but his first orientation is this Wednesday. I too find it reasonable to have a child potty trained before going to school. Shoot all of it seems reasonable to me. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xavierlogan09
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I am not sending my son to preschool. I think a child should be potty trained before going to preschool though.

mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

We did everything but practice goodbye.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 8:47 AM
I didn't with my oldest but I am helping to prepare my second.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN