Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Tacky FB S/O

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM
  • 21 Replies

Another thing I hate is when people post a breakup pretty much as it is happening.

Case in point...One day a friend called me and we started chatting and she said 'I didn't know John and Mary (made up names) had broken up.' I told her they hadn't (they are related to someone in my family so I know them better). I said I had just seen them a little earlier and they were together. She said she had popped onto FB for a minute and seen it said "Mary" was now single.

Sure enough, I pop on there and that is what it said. We got into this huge discussion about how people must literally be sitting there with their phone during a breakup to change their status. Is it to get even with the other person or do they think the world actually cares THAT MUCH?!?

So, posting your relationship status within an hour of it changing...tacky or not?!?

by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM
I JUST saw this on my news feed tonight. I don't get some people..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monkeymamma72
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 12:46 AM

I just saw someone getting ready to do that too tonight.  Someone posted that they were now in a relationship and someone replied that they'd have to change theirs to single tomorrow.  Umm....does her bf know this?  HA!  Talk about tacky!  And we thought texting someone to break up was bad, but how'd you like to find out you're going to be dumped the next day from FB?

On a good/funny not related to this in a way.....I did see a funny video where in the middle of a wedding, after they said their "I do's" and the preacher announced them husband and wife, the groom got out his phone to update his status to "married" then handed one to his bride to do her too!  I know it was just one of those practical joke things that seem to be popular in weddings now, just like the crazy first dances and all that are floating around, but it was kinda funny.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 13, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Facebook is annoying... Like I care that much about someone else's life... lol

USAFamily
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I guess it depends on the relationship and how serious, kwim? Like, my little cousins whose bf/gf's change every week -not a big deal- but a family member who has been married and just decided to get a divorce/seperate hours earlier -TACKY-.

I would never change my relationship status online until everyone of my friends and family knew about it. But I have been married for 8 years and with my husband 10. So if something were to happen (not that it would) it would be devastating.

VintageWife
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Quoting USAFamily:

I guess it depends on the relationship and how serious, kwim? Like, my little cousins whose bf/gf's change every week -not a big deal- but a family member who has been married and just decided to get a divorce/seperate hours earlier -TACKY-.

I would never change my relationship status online until everyone of my friends and family knew about it. But I have been married for 8 years and with my husband 10. So if something were to happen (not that it would) it would be devastating.

Yeah, the people I'm talking about are married and have been together 8-10 yrs and have a kid together plus she has one from a previous. Crazy, huh?!?

momofnhimai
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I used to have a friend that would change her "in relationship" with someone new every month.  that is sad. she has  two kids and lord know how many men have moves in with her since her divorce.

pooh2you
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 9:09 AM

not tacky non of my business and like i care what they do. i care about 3 people in my life 2 kids and my DH

VintageWife
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Quoting momofnhimai:

I used to have a friend that would change her "in relationship" with someone new every month.  that is sad. she has  two kids and lord know how many men have moves in with her since her divorce.

I have one of those on my FB too. Isn't it funny? There must be a certain list of the kind of friends we have. Like everyone has the serial dater, the changing statuses during drama person, the posting every minute of their life friend, etc...

LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Tacky, very tacky

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 9:36 AM
People lack class and tact.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)