Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

public nudity

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM
  • 10 Replies
Oddly Enough

Ordinance would cover naked bottoms

Fri, Sep 09 12:20 PM EDT

By Laird Harrison

OAKLAND (Reuters) - In the San Francisco Bay area where tolerance is king, it is a rare politician willing to clamp down on citizens who let it all hang out.

But San Francisco Supervisor Scott Wiener stepped into that position earlier this week when he introduced an ordinance that would require nudists to cover their seats in public places and wear clothes in restaurants.

Public nudity, he explains, is legal in San Francisco and in recent years a group known informally as Naked Guys have shown unbridled enthusiasm for appearing in the nude.

"I see it pretty regularly, and unfortunately there are nudists who are not doing what they should," Wiener told Reuters.

The nudists, who expose themselves most often in the city's famous gay neighborhood, the Castro District, have got Wiener and others worrying about public health.

"I'm not a health expert, but I believe sitting nude in a public place is not sanitary," he said. "Would you want to sit on a seat where someone had been sitting naked? I think most people would say, 'No.'"

Wiener, who represents the Castro neighborhood, said he hears from merchants who fear the public displays may drive away customers, hurting the business' bottom lines.

That's particularly true in restaurants. He acknowledged that he has not seen any research establishing a health risk. "But when you have your orifices exposed in an eating establishment, a lot of people don't like it," he said.

California does have legislation against indecent exposure. But the law is lenient enough that it has barely affected San Francisco's current coterie of flaunters.

Weiner's proposed ordinance will next be assigned to a committee, and Wiener expects a public hearing within months. Clothing required.

Do you feel they should cover up in public? Or let it all hang out?
Did you know public nudity was allowed in San Francisco?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:52 AM
If you're going in to a restaurant for the love of god cover your ass! Idk if you wipe properly and I'd hate to find out the hard way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buella
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I dont want to see that, cover it up!! lol

monkeymamma72
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM

That's GROSS!  Especially if it's a hot day and you're sweaty, or (excuse me, sorry) you fart on the chair (shart), or like jltplk25 said, who knows if you wiped or took a bath/shower lately?  Disgusting.  Plus, I don't want to see pubes while I'm eating.  YUCK!  I have a thing about body hair, sorry.

Did anyone happen to notice the name "Wiener" (different spelling, but still....) and "the bottom line" mentioned?  LMBO!!!!  (my covered butt, that is)

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM
Hahaha! Yes I did notice the name thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I snickered at "the bottom line" too.

Quoting monkeymamma72:

That's GROSS!  Especially if it's a hot day and you're sweaty, or (excuse me, sorry) you fart on the chair (shart), or like jltplk25 said, who knows if you wiped or took a bath/shower lately?  Disgusting.  Plus, I don't want to see pubes while I'm eating.  YUCK!  I have a thing about body hair, sorry.

Did anyone happen to notice the name "Wiener" (different spelling, but still....) and "the bottom line" mentioned?  LMBO!!!!  (my covered butt, that is)

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I noticed the name too.Lol.I say cover it up in public.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM
I say to each his own but cover up in a restaurant or any other establishment where food or drinks are served, that's just icky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Cover up!

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:00 PM

I don't wana see nothing but food when I go to a restaurant.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Blech. Seriously!

Quoting goddess99:

I don't wana see nothing but food when I go to a restaurant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN