Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facebook is causing me great anxiety!

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM
  • 16 Replies

Hi everyone, I'm new here and thought I'd throw myself into this right away!

After resisting for a long time, i finally joined FB. I would seem to be a good candidate because I'm far from home and it'd be a good way to catch up with friends and family. OTH I'm a bad candidate because my closest friends/family refuse to join so I ended up connectineg with long lost cousins, high school friends, former co-workers,etc. In fact the ppl I really wanted to connect don't seem to be on FB at all. Now I feel like a fish out of water and the odd one out because most of my FB friends know each other and I feel like I'm crashing the party when I post a comment. I do have an Aunt and Uncle who I know fairly well and they have been very welcoming

The point is, i don't want to look like an idiot to may family and friends and I'm not sure of FB etiquette and how to approach things on there. For instance, my uncle's birthday is today, so his daughter posted a song for him last night and wished him a happy b'day. Well, I was on and my first instinct was just to 'like' the comment, not to post since maybe she wanted this between her and her dad. But then later I saw someone else has posted happy b'day so I felt I should do the same, since I'd already 'liked' it. This morning I check and there is an entirely different comment set up with several ppl wishing him well and noone else posted on the daughter's comment. Now I feel I stepped on her toes, and I'm embarrassed! Was it okay to post on her comment, I only did it after the other person did.

Also, I've been on FB a week and only have 38 friends, whereas everyone else has at least 70+. I KNOW I shouldn't worry about that and normally I wouldn't care but I don't want my extended family to think I have noone to friend. It's not like I can tell them my REAL friends aren't on FB, plus I could friend friends of friends but I hate the idea of approaching strangers! Sorry about this, but I really wish I never joined FB...it's doing my head in!

by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Its just FB.. I wouldn't stress much. And honestly I don't think there is ANY form of etiquette on there! ;)

And I see no problem in replying to her comment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Meant to add... Welcome to the group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buella
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM

imo fb is 100% drama at any given time.

Quoting splatz:

Its just FB.. I wouldn't stress much. And honestly I don't think there is ANY form of etiquette on there! ;)

And I see no problem in replying to her comment.

maggiemae75
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Thanks! Yeah, the more I think about it the more I realize it's not a big deal. My friends won't join because they think it's just one big popularity contest and for some people I think it is. Some of my cousins have 300-400 friends! I'd rather have a smaller group and focus on them.

It was my mom's idea to join so I could get to know my cousins, but most of them ignore me anyway, some of them haven't even responded to my friend request. I don't take it personally as they don't know me but obviously FB is not working out the way I expected. I knew nothing about FB before I joined, I really thought I would be swapping stories and pics with my long lost relatives and former co-workers...! Silly me!

cocoa132
by Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM

welcome

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM
I think the people that have 300-400 friends probably don't even know half of them! I have been on FB since 2005 or 2006 and I only have like 75 friends at the max. Probably 15 are friends from CM, hah. I used to have a lot more. But, I realized if they weren't someone I wanted to or did talk to outside of FB they didn't need to be my friend on there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemae75
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Quote:

But, I realized if they weren't someone I wanted to or did talk to outside of FB they didn't need to be my friend on there.

Me too, plus I don't want strangers looking at pics of my kids. I feel silly but for the past week, I felt like I was back in HS again! I think I'm just going to look in every now and then, and let them get on with it.

I learned a lot this week about my relatives, FB and myself!

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM
FB can be very much like high school.
People lose all sense of common sense and common courtesy on there!

Quoting maggiemae75:

Quote:

But, I realized if they weren't someone I wanted to or did talk to outside of FB they didn't need to be my friend on there.

Me too, plus I don't want strangers looking at pics of my kids. I feel silly but for the past week, I felt like I was back in HS again! I think I'm just going to look in every now and then, and let them get on with it.

I learned a lot this week about my relatives, FB and myself!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The beautiful thing about FB, is you really can comment on whatever you want and it makes no difference. I post happy birthday to random people all the time -it's not awkward at all. People like to know you thought of them, even if it was just for a minute.

Try not to get too wrapped up in the whole 'friends' thing either. I don't have a lot -but that is because I would rather have a few good fb friends who I know in real life as well as opposed to 200 people I don't know at all creeping on my page!

xavierlogan09
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I only have about 38 friends. About 98% of those people are my family. I don't worry so much about facebook. As other moms said it's just Facebook. I don't think it's all that great. I am only on there so I can keep in touch with family.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)