Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Surrogate Mom Is Left With Twins When Couple Changes Their Minds (stolen from TheStir!)

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM
  • 7 Replies

Whoa. I don't know why I never really considered the possibility of this kind of thing happening before, but I was fairly shocked when I heard about what happened to Canadian surrogate momCathleen Hachey. The 20-year-old woman was 27 weeks into her pregnancy -- with twins -- when she got some very unexpected news from the British couple who'd signed a contract promising to adopt the babies.

The couple was in the process of splitting up, unfortunately.

And oh, by the way ...

Cathleen could keep the babies. Now that they weren't going to be together, the couple didn't really want to be parents anymore.

Oh. My. God.

And it gets worse! Wait until you hear the way the intended parents broke the bad news!

Okay, are you ready??

BY TEXT MESSAGE.

That's right, the British couple who signed the aforementioned contract giving them legal custody of Hachey's babies once they were born, and who agreed to pay the surrogate $200 per month to cover pregnancy expenses, backed out via text message.

Talk about bad manners.

Thank god Hachey was able to find a couple in Nova Scotia who were beyond thrilled to adopt the babies (especially because the young surrogate already has two children, aged 1 and 2, of her own at home). And she's not bitter about the experience -- in fact, she's planning on starting another surrogate pregnancy in January. (I know, I know.)

This time Hachey will have her own lawyer, she says, a protective benefit she didn't have with the twins. Apparently, even though there are plenty of laws surrounding surrogacy, they're difficult to enforce, especially in the case of a "traditional surrogacy" like this one, when the baby(s) is conceived using the prospective father's sperm and the surrogate mother's egg instead of the prospective mother's egg. This method is easier and cheaper (think turkey baster in the bathroom), but in the end, those twins were Hachey's biological children.

I guess it's a happy ending for everybody?

Are you surprised that Cathleen Hachey wants to be a surrogate mom again?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/125980/surrogate_mom_is_left_with?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=fanpage

Thoughts ladies?????

by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
USAFamily
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Uh, holy crap! I am glad she got back up parents.... that would be terrifying!

deccaf
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Not surprised she would do it again.  I have an aunt who loved being pregnant but was not a big fan of kids.  She was a surrogate for a few people and then one couple backed out.  She has raised that boy who is now 17 very well and had another baby recently.  In the meantime, she did one other surrogacy.

armywife1229
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM

No, if she was able to be a surrogate once, might as well do it again. Its a great thing to be able to help people like that.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM
That's crazy!

And if she can do it...more power to her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Thank-goodness she found some parents that would adopt them.I think she is a special person to do this for others that cannot have children.

jenniferlee_12
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

That is crazy. Glad things worked out for her though.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM

wow to me that's scary. But since being on cm I have "meet" at least 3 women who either have done it or are surrogate pregnant now. I do think it's a wonderful thing these women do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)