Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Pet question

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 2:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do dogs actually need sweaters when it's cold outside or is this more for the owner's amusement?

by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 15, 2011 at 2:29 PM

More of a owners amusement. We have a dog and we never put sweaters on our dog. I know alot of people that have dogs that don't put them on theirs either.

2inMommysWorld
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM
It just depends if you have a dog that hss little hair and you live in like the snow then yeah but other than that it's just for the owners
USAFamily
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Yep, this!

Quoting 2inMommysWorld:

It just depends if you have a dog that hss little hair and you live in like the snow then yeah but other than that it's just for the owners

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM

bump

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I think mostly it's for the owner but if you own a hairless dog and live in a cold climate it may be necessary. I have a very thick haired dog but when it's 30 below zero, I put a coat on her when she goes out to go potty.

MommyWeston
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM

This

Quoting 2inMommysWorld:

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I have a basset hound. Short hair, constantly sheds and he has a thing for my snuggie.

Quoting goddess99:

I think mostly it's for the owner but if you own a hairless dog and live in a cold climate it may be necessary. I have a very thick haired dog but when it's 30 below zero, I put a coat on her when she goes out to go potty.

monkeymamma72
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM

I think little dogs,  yes, but big dogs, at least mine, don't seem to mind it.  I have three chihuahuas and they get cold easily, but my big 100lb dog loves the snow and would stay out forever to play.  I think my little ones need booties, actually, because they'll come in from going potty in the snow and they're little footies hurt.  :-(

LindaClement
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Depends on the breed of the dog and the climate.

Tropical dogs can't tolerate the temperatures outdoors in northern climates anymore than people can. It's why we invented clothes, and why dogs that don't have the kind of bodyfat or fur necessary do need to be kept warm.

Some dogs are also really susceptible to sunburn --which is as dangerous to them as it is to people --and some owners know that and put fabrics on them when taking them out in the heat of the day.

Mostly, it's just because they've mistaken their pet for a doll... but lots of owners are genuinely taking care of their pet's needs.

luvmybug
by Amanda on Sep. 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM

i have a staffie mix and he loves his sweater. he hates being cold and refuses to go outside without it. lol.

Quoting MommyWeston:

This

Quoting 2inMommysWorld:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)