Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

crazy hovering mom

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM
  • 23 Replies
Does the crazy hovering mom act ever let up? Or at least get easier?
DS made friends with our neighbors little boy today. He has always been so shy and hesitant to play with other kids unless he's in a social setting. Even then he's shy. But, he walked right up to this kid and started a conversation. Yay! I guess at least he is learning something valuable in kindergarten.
Anyways, the neighbor kid is in 1st grade and his Dad just has left him outside for hours today without even checking in on him. I have been out there about a zillion times. Keep checking out the window. And was sitting out there a good hour. I feel like I'm hovering almost to much.

Where do you find a good balance for playing and supervision?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Dad's probably not checking on him because he sees you running in and out to check on them. I'm a helicopter mom too and proud of it, lol.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:17 PM

My dd is older but I still watch and listen from the window. If I haven't heard her in 10 minutes or so I either go outside or at least yell for her out the door lol. When my dd was your son's age I was outside watching.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM
I probably would have stayed outside, but I didn't want to have the baby outside that long now that its getting chilly.

The poor kid was in a t-shirt and shorts. When mine was wearing pants, long sleeves, and a thick jacket. :(
From what I can tell he's on his own a lot because his mom works nights. And clearly his Dad doesn't care much.

Quoting goddess99:

My dd is older but I still watch and listen from the window. If I haven't heard her in 10 minutes or so I either go outside or at least yell for her out the door lol. When my dd was your son's age I was outside watching.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM
Also, I have a big sliding glass door and they were right outside it the whole time. So I could still see all and here most of what was going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xavierlogan09
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM

If the other parent wasn't checking on the kids playing I would check outside often. I try not to hover over my son. When I'm outside with him though I hover because we don't have a fenced yard. 

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Hear* ack...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:56 PM

when spell check fails you, lol

Quoting splatz:

Hear* ack...

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM

There are kids like that around here too. Not dressed for the weather and no parents checking. 2 summers ago they would all usually make their way here caused I fed them lol. But this summer my dd was gone to camp so I didn't get any kids :)

Quoting splatz:

I probably would have stayed outside, but I didn't want to have the baby outside that long now that its getting chilly.

The poor kid was in a t-shirt and shorts. When mine was wearing pants, long sleeves, and a thick jacket. :(
From what I can tell he's on his own a lot because his mom works nights. And clearly his Dad doesn't care much.

Quoting goddess99:

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM
He never went in for dinner. He just sat outside waiting for my monster. And I know they didn't eat before they started playing at 4 because that's when they both got home for school.
I almost brought him out a snack. But I don't know his parents well enough yet. :/

Quoting goddess99:

There are kids like that around here too. Not dressed for the weather and no parents checking. 2 summers ago they would all usually make their way here caused I fed them lol. But this summer my dd was gone to camp so I didn't get any kids :)

Quoting splatz:

Quoting goddess99:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM

My version of supervision was to just be wherever the kids were. If they were outside, so was I. If they were in the playroom, I was in the next room (or sometimes the same room). Not 'hovering' by any stretch. Just on hand to supervise what they were getting up to, offer food or another distraction when the tone started going sideways (which always indicated, to me, that someone needed something they didn't have, and I always guessed it was food, a moment of privacy or a glass of water)...

I know Michael Dunahee's parents personally. They grew up in the same neighbourhood I grew up in. Michael was only 'alone' for 'a minute' and he'd be 25 or 26 now --or perhaps he is. No one knows. He was never seen again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)