Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Housework

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM
  • 21 Replies

How do you stay on top of the house work in your life?? Does your s/o or husband help out, or do your kids??

I could really use some tips. It seems like whatever I do I cannot get on top of my housework and I am fighting to play catch up constantly. I am very discouraged by it and to the point where i just want to give up :|

Do you have a system, or a schedule you follow? Thanks!!

M2mMelissa

by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM
I don't stay on top of anything. No matter how hard I tried I failed so I gave up. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife1229
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I started with Fly Lady and then did my own thing. 

I don't stress over it. I do it as its needed. I don't deep clean very often, but I do it enough.

Kitchen is always cleaned, bathrooms once a week, floors vacummed as needed and toys picked up.

mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I don't necessarily stay on top of everything. Main thing that works for me is delegating. The girls each have a couple chores.The girls also know that if they don't pick up their toys when they are done the dog will chew them so that helps. If they try to just pile it up on the love seat I'll leave it until bedtime and then tell if to leave anything they don't want on the love seat and I'll get rid of it for them. =) That usually gets it taken care of pretty quick. I try to make sure at least 2 loads of wash are done per day so it doesn't pile up.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I don't care if I'm on top of it or not. I do what I want, as far as housekeeping goes, when I have time. No schedule. My dh helps some but I usually just do most things when I have time.

tristansmom74
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I signed up for the flylady!  Sometimes I keep up and sometimes (most times) I'm wayyyyy behind.  I always plan on one day a week to just clean.  But often my days are taken over and nothing gets done. Sometimes 2 or 3 weeks at a time.  I clean the kitchen every day. Several times a day. Its just me.  I get annoyed by the way my DH cleans and I have to clean behind him. 

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM
I have been is super cleaning mode with my mom coming to visit.. What worked best for me was setting aside a little time each day to just work on one room. BF helps out as much as he can, but he's just not home enough. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmom1328
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM
Well I hate to say it, but my DH cleans alot more than I do!! I'm grateful for all he does, as I slack off in this area. I'm one lucky woman! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM

My biggest complaint is that there is nothing homey about my home and it's hard for me to care. Yeah, I do my best to keep things picked up (especially now that I'm on leave from work), but that's all I can do. I envy those (like my in-laws) who have beautifully decorated homes, while I have a house that I regret buying, for so many reasons. I live with the knowledge that we'll be selling sometime within the year.

My DH is gone most of the time, he works in the oil field, so no he doesn't help out... but he also didn't help out much when he was out of work for a year and a half. We have a 4 year old and haven't quite gotten it through to him yet.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:15 PM
Your first paragraph is how I feel!! I hate this house we're in with a passion and cannot wait until we can afford a GOOD house!

Quoting thatgirl70:

My biggest complaint is that there is nothing homey about my home and it's hard for me to care. Yeah, I do my best to keep things picked up (especially now that I'm on leave from work), but that's all I can do. I envy those (like my in-laws) who have beautifully decorated homes, while I have a house that I regret buying, for so many reasons. I live with the knowledge that we'll be selling sometime within the year.

My DH is gone most of the time, he works in the oil field, so no he doesn't help out... but he also didn't help out much when he was out of work for a year and a half. We have a 4 year old and haven't quite gotten it through to him yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I don't.

I have 2 different signs (used to have 3, one got wrecked... I'll share them all):

Four Dirty Words: Cook Clean Wash Tidy

Her cleanilness really was next to godliness. That is to say: mysterious, inscrutable and rarely seen.

For maid service, press button... if no answer, do it yourself.

No... for the most part, dh was at sea and the only way the kids 'helped' was by making the mess, eating the dinner and dirtying the clothes.

What I do know is that there are 2 really helpful tactics: learn how to do more in less time --efficiency will make a big difference to your drudgery (do you want to spend 4 minutes washing a bathroom or 24? Your choice!) and; do what you value and not what you do not value.

If you don't care if clothes are clean, leave other people's judgement out of it and stop washing everything that's ever touched human skin. Air laundry instead of washing it the second it comes off someone. Hang towels to dry between uses. 

Or, similar approaches to whatever you really hate doing.

I have known people who boxed up 3/4 of what they owned, because you can't make a mess without sufficient stuff to make a mess with; and one who threw out all her plates and glasswear --and bought paper plates and plastic cups for 3 years. She figures whatever she did that was terrible for the environment was more than adequately compensated for by not losing her mind and going on a rampage leaving many people dead, or saving fresh water (through not washing dishes)...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN