Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Praying Mantis

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Has anyone kept 1 as a pet? Any advice??

We found 1 yesterday and brought it home. It's living in our butterfly house and eating spiders and crickets but not sure what else to do. I put a damp paper towel in there so it would have water. But not really sure if what we're doing is right...?

by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I have no idea

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM
I'm not sure either!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:08 PM

We were told a couple years ago when we were going get 1 that they wouldn't survive here because of the cold climate but we saw 1 just climbing on my mom's porch yesterday. lol.. I've never seen 1 before so we took it. So far it's killed 2 crickets that were huge. We thought the crickets might kill the mantis but lol I guess not. The thing grabbed them and ate their heads =/ ...

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Sounds like I need to borrow your pet. My yard is filled with crickets.

Quoting goddess99:

We were told a couple years ago when we were going get 1 that they wouldn't survive here because of the cold climate but we saw 1 just climbing on my mom's porch yesterday. lol.. I've never seen 1 before so we took it. So far it's killed 2 crickets that were huge. We thought the crickets might kill the mantis but lol I guess not. The thing grabbed them and ate their heads =/ ...

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM

lol maybe you'll get lucky and find 1 :)

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

Sounds like I need to borrow your pet. My yard is filled with crickets.

Quoting goddess99:

pepsi_lover_mom
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:43 PM

We've hatched them..its by the same company as the butterfly pop up thingy. They like to eat eachother so if you find another one it would be a good show lol. We had a lot casualites with the babies because not only did they eat eachother but because they dont last in captivity very long.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM

What did you feed them though? well other than eachother. and did you just put a wet papertowel in it for water?

Quoting pepsi_lover_mom:

We've hatched them..its by the same company as the butterfly pop up thingy. They like to eat eachother so if you find another one it would be a good show lol. We had a lot casualites with the babies because not only did they eat eachother but because they dont last in captivity very long.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM

No clue sorry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)