Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Made me feel bad for choosing that name *EDIT*

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 2:08 AM
  • 32 Replies

So there was a post in another group I'm in about children's names and one of them was about how tacky it is to create a new way of spelling your kids name by putting it backwards.

What are your thoughts on the name Nevaeh?

That's my daughters name I didn't give her that name to try and be cute. I had never heard that name before and I liked it. To me it's different.

*EDIT*

I know I shouldn't let it bother me but for some reason it does. Everyone who has met her says her name is beautiful. Like I've said in my replies. I've never heard that name before and I really like it. But as of this year it is the number 1 name for girls =/ I just hope she doesn't grow up to hate her name like I use to (sometimes still do) MarLa. I get called Maria a lot and she some times gets called Nevah or Neviah. So I guess we all can't be happy with our names. I just wish people wouldn't be rude about it.

by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I'm not a fan... It is unique, in some places (it's pretty common in the under 6 set around here).

But it's because I was a secretary in a really big company and a softball umpire, and got to know all kinds of people pretty well...and I'm interested in names and their meanings, and I've met lots and lots of people...

So, one of the things I've run into over the years is people fed up to the eyebrows with telling everyone they meet how to spell their names... multiple times, because people forget all the time. And having people mis-pronounce your name 89 times a day gets old. Having 'helpful' government workers re-spell it 'correctly' four times in a row when documents are submitted is super-annoying --and can be serious, when it's marriage licences, passports, etc.

So, ever since I was a teen and knew a girl seriously named Mary Christmas, and another named Holly Wood, hearing about the Lear mogul naming his daughter Crystal Shanda Lear (it works better out loud - he made the Shanda part up)... and went to school with a girl who seriously got pissed off when anyone spelled her name wrong (it was Kymberleigh, like anyone'd have half a chance of getting that right in four tries!)... ever since then, I've been a big fan of conventional spelling, predictable gender and historical names from the child's real heritage.

I know a woman who was named Kamula, who legally changed her name to Sue. I know a woman named Galadrial (good to know your parents were Tolkein fans, and hippies!) legally change her name to Anne. My sister went to school with a lad named 'Huff' (after his dad's favourite football player's NICKNAME!!) who changed his name to Brad.

And, I met a woman once who named her daughter Colonica. I always wanted to ask if she had thought of looking it up in a dictionary before filling out that form, but I could never figure out a way to do it so it didn't sound as astonished as I felt.

I don't think it's worth making people feel badly about... but I have noticed that 'unique' names lose their shine for most people who are given them... or they become so commonplace for a time that everyone you meet can tell what year you were born.

Other people feel otherwise...

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM
I find it silly and would never use it myself. However your using the name in no way makes you a 'bad' mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I wouldn't use it, but I don't think it is ugly or anything -and oyu are definitely NOT a bad mom for picking a name you love!

buella
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM

First that does NOT make you a bad mom.

I personally dont care for that name. It is WAY to common around here I can count 10 girls in my dd's dance/cheer with that name.

BUT with that being said I went for a different option on spelling as well. My dd is Bryanna {Bre- onna}

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I like it. I have never heard it. But I don't get out much :)

LindaClement
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:40 AM

A woman I used to know (author and librarian) was named Bryanna --but it was pronounced the way it looked: Bry-anna

She wrote vegan cookbooks. Perhaps she still does... She's older than me.

Quoting buella:

First that does NOT make you a bad mom.

I personally dont care for that name. It is WAY to common around here I can count 10 girls in my dd's dance/cheer with that name.

BUT with that being said I went for a different option on spelling as well. My dd is Bryanna {Bre- onna}

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Don't worry about them. That's the name you chose because you liked it. She is your daughter...who cares what they say. People are going to find a reason to say something bad all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Who cares what other people think. My dd has a unique name as well and I couldn't care less what people think. If you like the name that's all that counts.

new_mommie_2b
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Thanks mommas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM
It doesn't make you a bad mom.

But, personally I think the name is way way overdone. And I really don't like it. I don't like "trendy" names or names with inventive spelling though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)