Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you spank?!

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM
  • 29 Replies

Over the weekend I went to coffee with a couple friends and the topic of discipline came up. I spank, always have. But my friend doesn't.

I am at a turning point with my 3 yo dd and it is very frustrating. She is defiant, does what she wants, screams, fights, yells.... she is over all a giant pain in the butt!! And spanking her doesn't seem to make any sort of difference. So I started to pick my friends brain -how do you NOT spank?? How can you fight the frustration and anger?? What are the alternatives. (I'm not stupid, I know about time outs and stuff... just wanted more ideas).

Anyways, we are going on day 4 without spanking and I seem to have a more compliant dd. We are still having issues, but are finding common ground and I don't feel like I have to spank my daughter every 5 minutes!

So what do you do?? How do you discipline your child and do you think it's effective?

M2mMelissa

by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buella
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:18 AM

we do spank but as a last resort.

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM

You should read Raising Godly Tomatoes it has changed my life !!! Seriously my relation ship with my three children is so much better they are a 1000 times better behaved and I feel like I am in control of my anger toward them for being so defiant. They are happier and so are my husband and I.

sweetmissy_05
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Only if I have to....

USAFamily
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Thank you for the reccomend! I think I am going to start 'Boundries with Kids' by Cloud and Townsend. I'm not big on parenting books, but they can't hurt!

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

You should read Raising Godly Tomatoes it has changed my life !!! Seriously my relation ship with my three children is so much better they are a 1000 times better behaved and I feel like I am in control of my anger toward them for being so defiant. They are happier and so are my husband and I.

MommyWeston
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Quoting buella:

we do spank but as a last resort.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM
Last resort here too. Tim's quick to spank which always pisses me off. With Landon it depends on what he's done. I usually send him to the corner or take toys away. Lexi is at that age where if you hit she thinks it's okay to hit back so I am adamant about not spanking her.

We have some leftover coins from vbs and I'm thinking of using those some how.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM
I have done the counting...I learned this technique from the book, 1 2 3 Magic...can't remember the author though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM

My dd is older, I don't spank. I take things away.

BeachMama05
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM

absolulty not.

how can you teach a child not to hit when your hitting them?

and how can you physically hurt someone you love so much?

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I agree

Quoting BeachMama05:

absolulty not.

how can you teach a child not to hit when your hitting them?

and how can you physically hurt someone you love so much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN