Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Job?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM
  • 21 Replies

My sister in law called yesterday to tell me about a job that had became available. It's a good job but I'm not sure *I* could make it work. I would be a personal care attendant like before only I would be taking care of a 17 year old girl with cerebal palsy. I'd help get her dressed, fix her breakfast, and bathe her. The hours are good, 8 a.m to 1 p.m and the pay is $9/hr.

The only thing is, my husband works as a deputy so his hours aren't the same month to month. He can't just call one day and say "Oh I'm running late." My son attends preschool 3 days a week, 9-11:30 as does my 2.5 year old brother in law, Quincy so my MIL wouldn't be available to pick up my kid. My FIL also works so I doubt he could pick up Landon either. THEN there's the fact that I'd have to get both kids up and get them to my MIL's house then worry about how Landon's going to get to preschool. The only other people I know/trust also work and wouldn't be available. Besides I don't feel it's right to have someone else aside from myself or my husband to haul my kids around. (personal opinion)

Would you take the job anyway, despite these obstacles? I don't feel it's right for me but I do feel bad telling my husband that I can't take the job b/c "I've got the kids to think about." It isn't as if he doesn't have to think about them too...he works for a reason. Lol. With him working and me not, I'm able to take Landon to preschool and pick him up. And no, there's no bus service for this preschool. I honestly want my SIL's job... that little girl was an absolute doll and I had a blast taking care of her.

Click on me to see what it's all about!

by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I wouldn't.

Imagine if you said, instead, 'what the kids need doesn't matter as much as the job does.'

Is there any reason why you couldn't take your son with you? It sounds like the kind of work that might be quite easy to do with a child present...

MissLoveLyfe
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM

No, I (much like yourself) have no one I can trust to watch my daughter... so it wouldn't work for me...

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM

hmm this is exactly why I'm a SAHM. It would be 1 thing if it were the type of job that if you had to leave early or not go in at all 1 or 2 days ,it wouldn't make a difference. But this sounds like you would be Needed and not Wanted. Do you know what I mean? I guess I wouldn't take it.

cocoa132
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Are you sure your not making excuses ,why you can't work, just asking.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Yes I'm sure I'm not makig excuses. I was working as a pca and loved it. However Landon hasn't started pre-k yet plus I was working 10 a.m to 6 p.m.

Linda- you are absolutely right. I was given the bare minimum of information. I may ask what days I'd be needed. If it is a place where I could bring Landon I might feel better about taking it. When I worked for linda she had no objections to my bringing either kid I needed to but I know not everyone is as understanding.

Michelle- I've been doing the sahm mom thing bc if the daycare issue for the past 4.5 years. Either there was no point in working or there wasn't anyone around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I did the stay at home thing partly because I believe it's better for kids (I grew up with it, and watched a lot of kids who didn't...) and because daycare would have eaten into so much of my income that it was pointless to work --2 Saturday shifts a month, I could have made more money.

Quoting jltplk25:

Yes I'm sure I'm not makig excuses. I was working as a pca and loved it. However Landon hasn't started pre-k yet plus I was working 10 a.m to 6 p.m.

Linda- you are absolutely right. I was given the bare minimum of information. I may ask what days I'd be needed. If it is a place where I could bring Landon I might feel better about taking it. When I worked for linda she had no objections to my bringing either kid I needed to but I know not everyone is as understanding.

Michelle- I've been doing the sahm mom thing bc if the daycare issue for the past 4.5 years. Either there was no point in working or there wasn't anyone around.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Your reasons are why I haven't had a job in 3 years. Lol. I worked briefly when Landon was 3 and I was pregnant. Now I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth it to do this job. Landon started preschool yesterday... That should have said "hadn't", not hasn't. Lol.

I love being able to be there for my kids when they need me (as most parents, I'm sure) plus I feel it's MY responsibility to raise them and not someone else's. ( Again I'm sure a lot of parents feel the same way and don't have a choice... I am in no way bashing others)

Quoting LindaClement:

I did the stay at home thing partly because I believe it's better for kids (I grew up with it, and watched a lot of kids who didn't...) and because daycare would have eaten into so much of my income that it was pointless to work --2 Saturday shifts a month, I could have made more money.

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I prefer to stay home and be with my kids. We have made huge sacrifices to stay home. That not everyone could make. And they are so worth it. I don't think it is for everyone. But you have to make the best decision for you and your family. Only you can know what is right for you. I say follow your gut.

Jill xoxo

luvhubandbabys
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:56 PM
If u can afford not to work just hang out another yr until he is in kinder. I feel blessed to stay home while they r little. I will go back to work one day but for now this works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 2:37 PM

One thing to consider is she is going to need someone she can count on to be there. Sounds like if your dh works late it would be a problem for you and the client. I don't think it would be fair for you to take the job if you aren't 100% sure you can be there when you are supposed to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN