Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Infant dies after falling from grocery cart

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM
  • 15 Replies

So sad! Be cautious, mamas.

Infant dies after falling from grocery cart on Forsyth Road
By AMY LEIGH WOMACK

http://www.macon.com/2011/09/22/v-print/1713527/infant-dies-after-falling-from.html

A 3-month-old child died Tuesday, hours after he fell from a grocery cart outside the Kroger store on Forsyth Road.
James Anderson Berg had been with his mother, who was shopping at the store. On the way back to the car, the baby fell from the grocery cart and sustained a head injury about 11:15 a.m., said Bibb County Coroner Leon Jones.

“It was a terrible accident,” Jones said.

The baby had been sitting in a car seat. That seat was removed from its vehicle base and placed in the area of the cart near the handlebar where an older child would typically sit, Macon police detective Pamela Williams said.

There’s no way to secure the car seat in that location, she said.

The car seat and the child rolled out of the cart as a Kroger employee pushed the cart over a speed bump, she said.

The infant was rushed to Coliseum Northside Hospital and later to The Medical Center of Central Georgia. He was pronounced dead in the pediatric intensive care unit about 4:15 p.m.

A doctor ruled that the death was an accident.

Glynn Jenkins, director of communications for Kroger’s Atlanta division, issued an e-mailed statement after the incident.

“Our deepest sympathy and most sincere, heartfelt thoughts go to the family during this time, and Kroger is fully cooperating with the local investigation,” the statement said.

Asked whether the store chain has a policy regarding employees’ pushing carts to customers’ cars, spokesman Timm Thomas said “we can’t comment on that right now.”

by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bbmkfo03
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM

WOW! That's so very sad!

monkeymamma72
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Oh my goodness, that's horribly sad!  They should have strict rules about safety straps of some sort for car seats sitting up on the carts there.  You see people doing it all the time.  My dh and I even did it and my hubby made a great catch one day (thank goodness I wasn't there or I would have had a heart attack) when the car seat fell off and he caught it....upside down too!  Glad he's quick!  Same goes for kids standing in the basket.  I can't stand to see that.  My son fell out once doing that as we were yelling at him to sit down.  Luckily, he wasn't hurt.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM

how very sad

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM
Oh my goodness! I bet the person pushing the cart feels horrible! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM

=(

Meltopia529
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 3:33 PM

That is so terrible!

We did this with our son and thank god had no issues! I did find tho that our infant seat would "clip" to most carts. We would set him in the area that on older child would normally sit, but the area of his seat that would clip down to the car seat base, would clip down to the cart.

Well I know with our next child never to do this again. How horrible!

Andeigh
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM

that is so sad.  I hated the infant seat in the cart, so I always just put it in the buggy part :( 

LovelyLauren55
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Thats too sad for words :(

Love060708kids
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Oh wow!  That is horribly sad :(  Oh my goodness gracious :(

janessa27
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Quoting jltplk25:

Oh my goodness! I bet the person pushing the cart feels horrible! :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN