Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

WWYD?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:06 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 7 yr old DD has been taking dance since she was 4 and she loves it! She recently showed some interest in figure skating and wants to try it. We only allow the kids to do one sport at time, since we have 5 kids and they all play sports. Registration for both is on sunday. She says she wants to try figure skating this winter instead of dance. I am just worried will we sign her up for it and she ends up hating it and it will be a fight to get  her to go, when she gave up something she loves to do. Would you sign her up for dance again or would you let her try figure skating, with the chance of her hating it?

by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I know it's a risk. I've signed my dd up for things she ended up hating but I would let her try the figure skating. Maybe just remind her that if she doesn't like it, it will be too late to get into dance. So she won't have a sport to do over the winter. You never know, she may Love it.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I would sign her up for figure skating if it was me. While she could end up hating it, she could also resent you for not giving her the chance to find out for herself.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM
Let her do it. If she hates it, tell her to finish out the season and next year she can get back into dance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AimeeE
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:20 PM

It seams to know how to stick with something:) I would let her try something new! I would explain to her though that if she complains about going, she'll have to go back to dance next season. She won't be allowed to jump around from sport to sport. If you help her make a pros and cons list.....maybe she'll change her mind all on her own....that way you don't have to say no? Ice can hurt and it's not as interactive with other kids that way dance is. On the other hand....ice skating is FUN! :) ~Good Luck:)

LindaClement
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I'd let her sign up. 

I'm not a hardass about this kind of thing... I'd work on the premise that everyone would love an extra after the early dropouts eat into their projected income, so late registrations are much more welcome than they might let on (when they want to get all the paperwork sorted out at one time)...

And, if she hates it and wants to drop out, let her. Who cares, as long as she's got a healthy, active lifestyle anyhow? 7 is a little early to be grooming her for a long-term contract...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)