Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Quiting smoking...

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 2:30 AM
  • 23 Replies

Did any of you Moms quit smoking while pregnant? I am really struggling with this and could use some advice/suggestions on how to get through this. Thanks in advance!

by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 2:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abmaddox1981
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 2:36 AM
I quit cold turkey with all 3 of mine. This time I'm trying not to start back, but it is very difficult when everyone else in my house smokes.
The thing that I've noticed is, you really have to WANT to quit. Not just b/c you're preggo, but really deep down want to quit, otherwise, you'll just start right back up. Make sure no one smoke around you, if you smell it, it will increase the cravings. If your dh/so smokes, make him brush his teeth before kissing you. Also, for me the hardest time to fight the craving was right after a meal. I would brush my teeth after eating so I would have that 'clean mouth' feeling. Good luck! And if you need someone to talk to about how hard it is, I know exactly what you're going through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chas47
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Thanks. This is going to sound bad I know...my reason for quitting is not cause of preg, but we just can't afford them. My husband smokes also, but doesn't seem to be struggling like I am. I have made it to day 3 without a cig....that's something right?

mj.bullion
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 5:33 AM

I had a very difficult time quitting when pregnant with DS. But I finally just decided that I had to quit and I did, cold turky. I used lollipops as an alternative to the cigarette motion. I tried several times prior to when I finally did. I would say "Oh this will be my last pack" and then I'd ask friends to bum a cigarette off of. I think once I actually bought another pack. I had to push myself to quit. But I finally did, September 1, 2008. If you really want to quit, you will. You just have to keep motivated. :] GL! I'm willing to listen if you need support.

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 8:30 AM
I quit with my first pregnancy and then started back up, I "mostly" quit, but not entirely with my second (still regret that one) and I quit cold turkey the third time.

I agree with PP, you have to want to quit. I enjoyed smoking so I always started right back up. Something in me has changed now though. The mere smell of it nauseates me. I can't imagine smoking again. Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevied13
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 8:37 AM

bump. i don't smoke so i'm not much help. but good luck to you!

Stevied13
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM

great job for it being 3 days! that is something and you have to start somewhere.

Quoting chas47:

Thanks. This is going to sound bad I know...my reason for quitting is not cause of preg, but we just can't afford them. My husband smokes also, but doesn't seem to be struggling like I am. I have made it to day 3 without a cig....that's something right?

USAFamily
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I'm not a smoker, but I grew up with 2. I applaud you for giving it your best! Keep it up, it will be worth it in the end ((HUGS))

good

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM
I'm no help so here's a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I never smoked except a few times when I drank and that was before I was prego! Good luck!

PEEK05
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Good luck mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)