Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

So What's Wrong With Sponge Bob ?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM
  • 26 Replies

head people say that they didn't like it for their children, but never state why. Can some one give me an  example.

by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 12:19 AM

His laugh is really annoying for starters. He cries at the drop of a hat.

Uhura
by Member on Sep. 25, 2011 at 2:11 AM

I just think he's annoying as hell, no real other reason.

LindaClement
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I've never watched enough of it to have any opinion about it. I know it's not aimed at my demographic... I tend to watch Family Guy or Aeon Flux, a little more out there.

skittles2011
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 8:16 AM

i cant think of any specifics right off the top of my head, but if you watch enough episodes you can see how warped the thinking is on that show.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM

This. I get so tired of hearing "It's just a cartoon." yeah, so is Family Guy, American Dad, and Robot Chicken but that doesn't mean my four year old needs to watch them.

Quoting skittles2011:

i cant think of any specifics right off the top of my head, but if you watch enough episodes you can see how warped the thinking is on that show.

Click on me to see what it's all about!

Ludvik_Smith
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

There was a study done about Spongebob...let me find it...

Ludvik_Smith
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

http://www.artandeducation.net/news/watching-spongebob-can-lead-to-learning-problems/

Fast-paced, fantastical television shows such as “SpongeBob SquarePants” may harm children’s ability to pay attention, solve problems and moderate behavior, according to a U.S. study published Monday. Researchers from the University of Virginia found that the learning ability of 4-year-olds who watched nine minutes of “SpongeBob SquarePants” was severely compromised compared to 4-year-olds who either watched the slower-paced TV show “Caillou” or spent time drawing.

There was little difference in the way the children who watched “Caillou” or drew performed in the test. ”Parents should know that children who have just watched ‘SpongeBob SquarePants,’ or shows like it, might become compromised in their ability to learn and behave with self-control,” according to psychology professor Angeline Lillard, who led the research.

She added, “It is possible that the fast pacing, where characters are constantly in motion from one thing to the next, and extreme fantasy, where the characters do things that make no sense in the real world, may disrupt the child’s ability to concentrate immediately afterward.” Lillard said another possible explanation was that children identified with unfocused and frenetic characters and then adopted their characteristics.

She advised parents to consider the findings when making decisions about which television shows to allow their young children to watch — if they watch TV at all.The study also recommended that parents use creative learning activities — such as drawing, using building blocks and playing outdoors — to help their children develop sound behaviors and learning skills. 

Ludvik_Smith
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:42 AM

So, there ya go!

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM

interesting thank you

Quoting Ludvik_Smith:

http://www.artandeducation.net/news/watching-spongebob-can-lead-to-learning-problems/

Fast-paced, fantastical television shows such as “SpongeBob SquarePants” may harm children’s ability to pay attention, solve problems and moderate behavior, according to a U.S. study published Monday. Researchers from the University of Virginia found that the learning ability of 4-year-olds who watched nine minutes of “SpongeBob SquarePants” was severely compromised compared to 4-year-olds who either watched the slower-paced TV show “Caillou” or spent time drawing.

There was little difference in the way the children who watched “Caillou” or drew performed in the test. ”Parents should know that children who have just watched ‘SpongeBob SquarePants,’ or shows like it, might become compromised in their ability to learn and behave with self-control,” according to psychology professor Angeline Lillard, who led the research.

She added, “It is possible that the fast pacing, where characters are constantly in motion from one thing to the next, and extreme fantasy, where the characters do things that make no sense in the real world, may disrupt the child’s ability to concentrate immediately afterward.” Lillard said another possible explanation was that children identified with unfocused and frenetic characters and then adopted their characteristics.

She advised parents to consider the findings when making decisions about which television shows to allow their young children to watch — if they watch TV at all.The study also recommended that parents use creative learning activities — such as drawing, using building blocks and playing outdoors — to help their children develop sound behaviors and learning skills. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

we don't have cable so I haven't really see it but doesn't spongebob swear?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN