Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dentists

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM
  • 11 Replies
At what age did you take your kids to the dentist? I want to take both of mine for check ups (ages 4.5 and 15 mths) but dh thinks going to the dentist before they have adult teeth is pointless. I think oral health is important and I want to foster a healthy habit of taking care of their teeth. I hate the dentist so I want to avoid them feeling the way I do. Dh is also the kind that thinks brushing once a day is plenty. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM

There is a mobile dentist here that visits all the schools once a year. So I think the 1st time my dd saw a dentist was age 4. and if this dentist thinks your child needs to see a permanent dentist more than once a year they write it on the report the parents get.

USAFamily
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I agree with you that Oral health is important, and by taking our kids, we are instilling a routine in them for future care.

Mine both went the first time when they turned 1.

monkeymamma72
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd start taking them as soon as your dentist recommends.  Get them used to it, even if it's just having them sit in the chair, look at their teeth, counting their teeth, etc.  Helps them to get used to not being afraid, someone else looking at/examining their teeth, and they learn about good oral care. 

LindaClement
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM

2, I think. 

I always took my kids to my dentist appointments --right into the examination room-- so they got used to what goes on there (and how weird it smells) long before it involved their own mouths.

MissLoveLyfe
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I started taking dd at age 1. And every six months ever since.

miraclesx2
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I started when they were two, at first the dentist doesn't do much it is just getting your child used to it. My kids are now 8 and 5 and they are very good at the dentist and go about ever 6 months for check ups. My son  had to get braces when he was 6 cause his top teeth were coming in behind his bottom teeth so the braces were to get them moved to the front. He didn't an awesome job and still does. He only had them for a year and they are now doing fine. Had we waited it was would have been so bad. 

I suggest they get started and get a relationship with a dentist built and your kids will do so much better with them.. big smile mini

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Sep. 25, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I started taking mine as soon as they got teeth, every 6 months if for no other reason than to get them used to the dentist.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM
My dd is only 4 months but this is a good question! I guess when the pedi suggest its time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andeigh
by on Sep. 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Around 3 or 4.  

Baby teeth are important to take care of because they are the foundation for adult teeth. 

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM
I started taking both my girls at age 3, which is when our dentist recommended bringing them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)