Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Traditions

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
What are some of yours? Where did the tradition start? Do you have any you really hope your children will continue?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM
Every Christmas Eve we go to my aunt and uncles and have Christmas with them and my cousins and their kids! We are all very close! With people moving we usually can't do it then anymore but find time the week after to do it now! To make up for it my brother and I started spending Christmas Eve with our parents and spouses! This year we will include the kids! We eat dinner, open gifts and then go to church! On Christmas day my dh and I go to his moms for breakfast and gifts, then my grandmas for dinner and gifts! The last 2 years we have gone to a movie after, just us! Since we now have a baby we are going to start spending Christmas Eve or Christmas night watching the old cartoon of How The Grinch Stole Christmas, which me and my bro did with my parents growing up as well! I love Christmas! All the memories old and new, and all the traditions that go along with it! : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife1229
by on Sep. 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM

We are still establishing them, but one I hope to instil in my children is that holidays are celebrated when you are with family, not on a certain date.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2011 at 9:04 PM
My family used to get together every holiday then my great grandma died. Now that I'm married, I still don't really have any but I hope to change that. I'm thinking of making sugar cookies with the kids on Christmas eve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM

For the child to spend a weekend night at the grandparent's house. I did this growing up, my dd does it and I would Love to have my grandchildren (in 20 years) do it.

We have Christmas traditions. We do advent calendars, which I love. I have these fancy bags I fill with little treats, gifts that I put on our christmas tree so every day my dd finds that bag. I also do a pickle prize every year. I hope my dd does both of those with her kids.

The pickle prize if you don't know is you hide a pickle in your christmas tree and the person to find it gets a special gift. My pickle is a blown glass ornament - not an actual pickle.

The Christmas traditions started with me.

GotSomeKids
by on Sep. 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Saying "love you, see you in the morning" every night.  It was something I started when I had gotten really sick and convinced myself if I told the kids (hubby was deployed) "see you in the morning" that I would wake up the next day.  Well, when the hubby got back, he thought it was so cute (even though I didn't tell him why I said it until years later) that it stuck and now we all say it to each other every single night.

skittles2011
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 8:46 AM

we have several traditions.

on new years we have fireworks & stay up till midnight

on valentines day (which is ds1's bday) we have bday pancakes & cupcakes with dinner

on 4th of July we watch the parade & have a cookout with my grandmother

on the first day of school my son gets a first day of school goodie bag.

in the fall we go to the pumpkin patch/corn maze

Halloween we go trick or treating

thanksgiving at my grandmothers house

before Christmas we go to the speedway in lights at Bristol motor speedway

and play games, get hot chocolate, and roast marshmallows.

christmas we alternate between my family & dhs family. one year we go to my aunt and uncles on Christmas day, then the next year we go to my dh's parents for 3-4 days.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 27, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)