Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should schools teach sex education or abstinence?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM
Thank you for saying what I was trying to get out. Lol.

Quoting USAFamily:

I think they should teach sex education AND abstinence. Too many parents don't talk about sex, so at least kids can have some kind of info-- and I think it's important for kids to understand the only 100% effective way not to get pregnant or an std is to not have sex. It may not be realistic for all kids to expect them not to have sex, but you may get through to one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM

You saved me a lot of typing. =)

Quoting USAFamily:

I think they should teach sex education AND abstinence. Too many parents don't talk about sex, so at least kids can have some kind of info-- and I think it's important for kids to understand the only 100% effective way not to get pregnant or an std is to not have sex. It may not be realistic for all kids to expect them not to have sex, but you may get through to one.

armywife1229
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I think, sex education, taught to appropriate ages is a good thing. I think they should push absitnenace as the safest option not as a religious reason. I think that any high school student should feel comfortable going to a teacher and asking for help if they need it. But I don't necessarily wany my middle schooler to learn about condoms before she's even started her period, KWIM?

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM
That's what I was gonna say.

Quoting goddess99:

Sex education

kids are going to do it no matter what parents say so they may as well be educated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buella
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Sex ed for sure...

I think in this day and age abstinence is not practical.

I'd rather my kids know options and be safe then to go into an experience blind of jaded

armywife1229
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this is very sad. Abstinenance is very practical.

And, its your job to teach them about their options, not the school's. I think the school should cover things, but its really your job.

Quoting buella:

Sex ed for sure...

I'd rather my kids know options and be safe then to go into an experience blind of jaded

maynaysmom
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Sex education should be taught at age appropriate levels.  Pretending it isn't happening isn't helping anyone out.

buella
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I didnt say I wont teach my children all the avenues. BUT what I WAS saying was that schools shouldnt only teach abstinence. A lot of teens have sex in hs and if they arent being taught at home school should show them options by showing ways to be safe.

Quoting armywife1229:

I think this is very sad. Abstinenance is very practical.

And, its your job to teach them about their options, not the school's. I think the school should cover things, but its really your job.

Quoting buella:

Sex ed for sure...

armywife1229
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I agree that they should teach sex ed and include abstinene for what it is. The safest and only truly effective birth control. 

mamawmom
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree but the home teachings are of the most importance.That goes a long way in how kids will choose to act.

Quoting monkeymamma72:

Both.  I think they should teach that abstinence is best, but some are gonna do it anyway, so teach them that IF they do, be safe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN