Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should schools teach sex education or abstinence?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Replies (21-25):
Sara.Worthey
by Member on Oct. 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM
Our school system starts in 5th grade, when most kids are starting puberty. They teach hygene, what to do when you get those feelings, how to deal with your period, and they separated the boys and girls for this. They about every other year until hs adding in apprioriate info for the age. In high school you are taught all the methods equally. I loved that system growing up, and it spread the sex talk out, making it easier to talk to my mom. I really hope the system is similar when my kids go through the system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monkeymamma72
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Absolutely!  I don't trust anyone else to teach my son what I believe is right and wrong.  Everyone has different values/beliefs, etc., and sometimes others don't have the great communication that only parents can understand/have with their children.  I mean, my son may have a question or not understand something, or just whatever, but someone other than his father or I may not pick up on that and then my son gets left in the dark over something, KWIM?  Sometimes I don't explain things well, sorry.

Quoting mamawmom:

I agree but the home teachings are of the most importance.That goes a long way in how kids will choose to act.

Quoting monkeymamma72:

Both.  I think they should teach that abstinence is best, but some are gonna do it anyway, so teach them that IF they do, be safe.

mj.bullion
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I agree.

Quoting monkeymamma72:

Both.  I think they should teach that abstinence is best, but some are gonna do it anyway, so teach them that IF they do, be safe.

the3Rs
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM
Neither.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaybean
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM

They should teach BOTH. I don't see any other possible answer that would make more sense than to teach both. They could start off by saying abstinence is best and safest, and IF they do decide to have sex, give all the info on safe sex as well, after abstinence has been recommended.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN