Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

School Bans Balls Because They're Too 'Dangerous'

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 1:40 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ridiculous?  Or a great safety precaution?

School Bans Balls Because They're Too 'Dangerous'

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans
on Sep 29, 2011

soccer balls

We all want our children to be safe, but there's a point at which we need to just step back, relax, and brace ourselves for a black eye or two. Trying to protect them from every little bump and scrape is a ridiculous waste of time and energy and is likely to do more damage to them and their well being than good. Case in point: A school in the UK has banned leather balls from the playground. Balls.

That's right, Harewood Junior School in Gloucester thinks leather balls are just too dangerous after a "number of accidents" last year. They now want them to use only "sponge balls" at recess. Can you say ridiculous? I'd rather my kid come home with a bloody nose than be limited to playing with sponge balls.

At least during physical education classes and football club, they'll get the real deal, but when it comes to recess, it's all about the sponge. I'm guessing David Beckham never had to bend it like that when he was in school. Seriously, kids have been playing with leather balls for decades, but now they're suddenly not strong enough to do so? They're certainly not going to be if we keep limiting their abilities to explore, grow, and yes, get hurt once in awhile.

The ball ban is ridiculous and part of a growing trend for schools and parents to overreact to each and every little incident in which a child gets hurt. From banning pencils because kids might use them as weapons to banning boys from using their fingers as guns because it might lead to violence, we're trying to pad their world. The intentions are good, but the results are outrageous.

Things happens; kids get hurt. But it's important in life for them to learn how to fall down, then get back up, nurse their wounds, and move on. We can't put them in bubbles, and we need to quit trying to put bubble wrap down everywhere they go.

Do you think it's ridiculous for a school to ban leather balls? What's the craziest thing your child's school has banned?

by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 29, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Ridiculous. I can't think of anything my dd's school has banned.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
That's beyond ludicrous. Why not just wrap up kids in bubbles while we're at??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM

My children's school has banned playing tag which is about as ridiculous as banning balls.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 29, 2011 at 1:56 PM
That is ridiculous. I don't know of anything that is banned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Um yeah, that's crazy! I thought banning homemade baked goods was the craziest thing, but this tops that for sure!

mrsnoble2004
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Ours have to be store bought too.

Quoting USAFamily:

Um yeah, that's crazy! I thought banning homemade baked goods was the craziest thing, but this tops that for sure!

alf2651
by Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM

This is the most stupid thing I've heard all day.

CafeMom Tickers
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM
The daycare I worked for only allowed store bought bc of allergies some of the kids had.

Quoting USAFamily:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM

That is crazy!

Andeigh
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Ridicilous! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)