Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should pregnant moms get special privileges?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was reading on another group about whether pregnant moms should have special privileges. What do you think?  If you're PG should you have special parking spaces or be able to cut to the front of the line?

Here's the Stir link.  http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/126951/being_pregnant_should_mean_you

by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM
Replies (51-58):
sugaree
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM

At Wal-Mart they have special parking for expectant moms or moms with infants. I always thought it was a nice idea, especially when I was the prego one :)

Midwestmimi
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 11:00 PM
Gotta tell ya, this is a pet peeve. Pregnancy is not a disease and walking is good for you. I have more sympathy for mothers with small children and can see closer parking for that. But pregnant and treated like disabled or elderly--rubbish! And yes, I've been pregnant, had a c-section and didn't die from waddling in a few extra steps. Of course, my generation didn't want special priveges because we were too busy overcoming the women are the weaker sex stereotypes. Please don't send us back there again.......
DejaVooDoo
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 2:36 AM

No to both. If you have a medical condition which warrants the need for a parking spot near the door, then it would be best to go to your Doctor and seek a sticker for disability parking. Depending on the amount of parking available, having too many allocated spots for special circumstances actually drives down the total amount of spaces for everyone available. Then there is also fighting and bickering over the pregnancy parking because people who are not "expectant" take the spots. 

Being pregnant is special, but it doesn't necessarily mean within itself that a person needs special treatment. In all due respect I extend a common courtesy to pregnant women where I can, but it doesn't establish that we have an automatic sense of entitlement. There are many people out there in even worse physical circumstances where medical conditions can't be seen, where they get nothing at all period.

LenapePrincess
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 7:29 AM

No, just because someone is expecting does not mean they have to have special privileges,  there's no reason that you can't keep to you regular activity (unless your doctor tells you not to) that extra walk from the parking lot to the store's door is great exercize for the expectant mom, If some one offers you their spot in the front of the line or their set  take it, but don;t expect it to be mandatory (at least not into days world).

Namaste17
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM

No, but I wish Dr.'s would give out temporary handicap stickers for pregnant moms who are in a lot of pain/having complications. Other than that, there is no reason why pregnant moms can't walk around or wait in line like everyone else. I do however wish they made parking spots for people with infants and young children that are slightly bigger so we can get our car doors open to get our kids in.

Harmy
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Yes - parking spots, like disabled spots. Many moms are on bed rest - they carry an extra 30-50 lbs. Exertion and heat and such can bring on labor which is dangerous to both mom and child.

No - you shouldnt be allowed to cut in line. I am pregnant, high risk, and not allowed to stand, or walk for long periods of times. I hate it, but it's not someone else's problem. When I go to the food stores, i can order carry-out, drive-through, or have someone else go. If I'm in a grocery store, then I ride in the little carts, and I should have to wait with everyone else. PS: I'm 36 weeks + and I'm in a very high risk pregnancy, on modified bed rest.

BraythansMom
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 9:25 PM
Closer parking spaces, yes... nothing other than that though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alylou19
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I live in a VERY small country town, so when I went out of town to go "baby" shopping for my little lou bug I was *SO* excited to find an "Expecting Mom" parking, as was my husband! It made me feel even more special! ha! Plus, it was nice to not have towalk so far since it was really cold that day. But other than that, I mean, I don't know what else we would need. To cut in line? No. if you can't stand up for that long, get someone to go to the store for you or get a wheel chair. There are women who work until they go into labor. I really just liked that it kind of made me feel like a pregnant princess haha.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)