Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

potty training? help and help wit getting him caught up on devlopment

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:16 AM
  • 17 Replies

i have 2 kids one is 2 n the other is 1month old  n there is a long story behind my 2yr old but his development is rele behind bc of the imune disorder he has he may have brain damage n could b mentally diable we arent quite sure of it yet we r doing tests to find out if he is or not but he has difficulty tellin me the things he wants n isnt qute understanding the concept of wat a potty is n wat its for he sees it as a toy n wants to play with it n he is at the last size of diapers n is starting to get to big 4 the diapers idk wat to do im trien all that i can n my best to teach him wat the potty is n how to use it but it sems to not b working i cry sumtimes bc i c wat he goes thru wen he cant tell me wat he wants or wat is wrong n he get mad n crys to wen i dont understand wat he wants his way of tellin me is pointing n whining he knos some words but not much n he has this habbit of taken his diaper off n runnin naked but c wen he does that i catch him put it back on but wen he does it he cant tell me im wet n want changed or tell me he has to pee there is a reason y he does it but we cant figure it out bc he just does it n goes bout his activity like as if it wasnt done then sumtimes i dont catch it in time n i have pee or poop to clean up i just rele want to get him to start potty train so things r easier on me n him bc it hurts to c my son cry all the time bc he cant tell me  things we do have a development teacher that comes once a week he has learned sum but still hasnt accomlished wat he should have n if i could get advice on how to get him caught up a lill more that would help

by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormystar15
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:20 AM
He will potty train when he is ready you cant force him to do it. maybe yall need some type of counsler that can explain how to handle his behavior and how to help him more. a lot of kids dont potty train until 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM
This is really hard to read. So, I'll just say my DS wasn't potty trained until he was 3. He will come around on his own time.
GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM
This. Mine wasn't ready until 3 either. If they aren't ready, they aren't ready. Forcing them makes it ten times harder. GL!

Quoting splatz:

This is really hard to read. So, I'll just say my DS wasn't potty trained until he was 3. He will come around on his own time.

GL!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theperfectstorm
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM

BUMP!

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 12, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I would enroll him in school. My dd started going to school when she was 1. Ask the teacher next time you see him/her, they should know of a school for kids with special needs. As for potty training- I wouldn't push it. Let him play with it. Buy more diapers or pull ups. When He's ready you'll know. On my dd's 4th birthday she said she was ready. It took 2 days and we were done.

Niborcb
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I wouldn't push the potty training at this point as it will only add to his frustration and yours. He is still quite young. I have 4 year old twin boys and they just became potty trained this summer. I started trying when they were 3 and they had no interest. After a lot of frustration I decided to just let it go and let them do it when they were ready. One of my boys is completely trained, my other boy still poops his pants quite often. They both wear GoodNights to sleep in but they are usually dry in the morning.

mrsnoble2004
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM

My girls weren't fully potty trained until 4 years old. They didn't even seem interested until around 3 or later so I would push the issue too much. You might consider speech therapy as far as helping him learn how to express his needs.

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 12, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Some basic sign language wouldn't hurt either. My dd was using sign before she was speaking. Kids pick it up quick.

Mom82420
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Kids will learn to potty train when they're ready.  My twins weren't ready until they were over the age of three and we still have the occasional accident.

My advice is not to rush it and if rewards work with him in other areas try that.

What does you pediatrician say?  Have you discussed this with him/her?

armywife1229
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 3:25 PM

He'll do it when he's ready, mine was close to 3 when he was potty trained. But my daughter is 18 months and starting the process. Its up to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN