Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

E. Coli poisoning

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

FREAKING OUT! 

So, my DD gets up this morning saying her stomach, head and throat hurt.  She's coughing, a lot.  She goes to the bathroom and comes out to tell me she's plugged the toilet.  I was nursing DS at the time so I told her I'd take care of it in a sec.  She goes to get dressed and then comes out just as I'm walking out of DS's room (I laid him back down) and asks if I can unplug the toilet cuz she thinks she's gonna throw up.  I go unplug it and about a half hour later she does indeed throw up.  She said her stomach felt better after that.  I gave her Tylenol for her head and she said about an hour later that all that hurt was her throat.  She's still coughing and sneezing a lot and her nose is runny. 

So then...my friend messages me (knowing Aubrey didn't go to school today) to let me know that there have been two confirmed cases of E. coli poisoning in our DD's school.  So now I'm freaking out.  Back in August there were 8 confirmed cases in our county and a 20 month old baby died. 

Should I take her to the dr tomorrow??  Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? 

Michele, loving wife to Justin
 Aubrey 12/22/02
Gracey 1/7/08
 Oliver 6/28/11

by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM

bump!!

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM
I would definitely put in a call to the dr in the AM. That's pretty serious stuff.

Hope she feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chas47
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Give a call, you never know.

LindaClement
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Mountain... presently.

The fatalities in food poisoning are primarily a result of really not being able to hold anything in at all --dehydration, which leads to kidney failure, and all that.

If she can drink water, juice, pop or tea and not throw up for 30 minutes, she will probably be fine. You need to monitor her temperature, and ensure that she's not going over 105.5F (usually a result of dehydration, too)...

Ice chips can help. It's a good idea to try jello --partly because the sugar is an anti-emetic (it will stop her throwing up so quickly) and partly because it is a great source of fluid and protein. Ginger ale is a good idea, because the carbonation and the ginger are settling to the tummy, and the sugar is also an anti-emetic.

But if she shows any signs of not being able to hold down anything, becomes delirious, goes frighteningly limp and stops responding, or has a temperature over 105.5F, don't call your doctor or go to the office: go to the ER immediately and tell them her school already has one confirmed case of e.coli.

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:21 AM

I would call the doctors office and talk to a nurse. Explain the symptoms and see if they recommend making an appointment.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Oct. 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM

How's she doing today?

katzmeow726
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I wouldn't worry too much now.  As long as she doesn't have a very high fever, she can get down some fluids (at least hold them down for 20-30 minutes) and isn't showing signs of dehydration, she will be fine.  E Coli is no fun, but it isn't the worst thing.  Just be ready to go to the urgent care/doc/Er if she shows signs of dehydration, which can lead to kidney issues.

For the most part it can run it's course at home, and she may not even have E. Coli.  For now, just wait and watch mama. 

LovelyLauren55
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

This...I usually rely on people that know more than me, lol

Quoting goddess99:

I would call the doctors office and talk to a nurse. Explain the symptoms and see if they recommend making an appointment.

armywife1229
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I'd take her to the doctor, if only for your peace of mind.

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 13, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Is she any better?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)