Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dental Woes

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

I don't understand why it's so hard for dentists to do their jobs correctly.  My DD (7) has had horrible problems with her teeth over the years.  The dentist has always been a source of great anxiety for her.  (Her dad and his family has horrible teeth so I blame his stinkin' genes!)  Today, at her cleaning/exam, we found out that she has 3 cavities underneath old fillings (we see a new dentist now).  For the past year, DD has been sure to brush, floss and use anti-cavity rinse each morning and night (sometimes after school too).  We thought for sure that this would help matters.  When the dentist said she had cavities today, she burst out crying and I wanted to join her.  

She feels discouraged now because she's done such a good job at keeping her teeth clean and doesn't understand why she still gets bad news at the dentist.  I mean, since she was 4 years old, she has had at least one cavity every six months.  My heart broke for her and I wanted to strangle everyone at her former dental practice.  It's bad enough for a young child to have to go through one dental procedure, much less have to re-do that procedure later on!  All I can do is reassure DD that she has been doing a great job taking care of her teeth and to keep up the good work.  After these dumb cavities are filled, I hope we're done for a while!  I just want good news at dental visits!  :/

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Aww so sorry!! :( I hope the issue gets corrected soon and that's that for her. I was so scared of the dentist growing up that I once jumped out of the chair and ran to the other side of the room when I saw a gleam of metal. It was just his water pick. Lol.

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM

aww =( poor thing.. I hope after this next visit, it will all be good news from then on!

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Oct. 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM

The first dentist may not have got all the decay the first time they were filled so I wouldn't get too discouraged. As long as she's brushing and flossing properly there is nothing for her to feel bad about. Some people are just more prone to cavities than others. Does the anti-cavity rinse have flouride in it?

mrs_smiph
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Yes, it's a flouride anti-cavity rinse.

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

The first dentist may not have got all the decay the first time they were filled so I wouldn't get too discouraged. As long as she's brushing and flossing properly there is nothing for her to feel bad about. Some people are just more prone to cavities than others. Does the anti-cavity rinse have flouride in it?

CafeMom Tickers
LindaClement
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I wonder about seeing if the old dentist will cover some of the cost --improper technique is a malpractice issue.

mrs_smiph
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I'd love for that to work but the old dentist is in Georgia (our home state) and we now live in San Diego, CA.  It'll probably be more trouble than it's worth.  :/  Three crappy fillings seems a lot to me though (and I paid good money for those fillings in the first place)!  If it were just one, I'd be less upset.  Do you think I'd actually have to sue (in court) to get them to reimburse me for the new fillings?

Quoting LindaClement:

I wonder about seeing if the old dentist will cover some of the cost --improper technique is a malpractice issue.

CafeMom Tickers
LindaClement
by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Probably, yes. And, you're probably right... it's probably not worth it. 

Quoting mrs_smiph:

I'd love for that to work but the old dentist is in Georgia (our home state) and we now live in San Diego, CA.  It'll probably be more trouble than it's worth.  :/  Three crappy fillings seems a lot to me though (and I paid good money for those fillings in the first place)!  If it were just one, I'd be less upset.  Do you think I'd actually have to sue (in court) to get them to reimburse me for the new fillings?

Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)