Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 6 mo old (PIOG) need advice or someone who understands

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 3:47 PM
  • 26 Replies
Yesterday Teddy had his 6 month well baby check. He's not growing enough!

He's only 14lbs 12oz, only gaining 10 oz in the past 3 months and he is now in the 5th percentile and not on a curve. :( the doctor is so concerned I have to feed him only breastmilk (or formula), avacadi, banana and rice cereal...cause nothing else has enough calories.

They even have to check his weight next month. I've been feeding him, he's not hungry. But now the doc says I have to try and feed him half again as much as we have to double as much as we have been. I dunno how I'm gonna produce that much milk or get him to eat that much.

I'm very worried about my baby! He grew 3/4 of an inch in length and is only at 20th percentile. And his head grew 1/2 inch and is at 65th. It's like only his head grew. Im sooooo worried!

He's not skinny or anything, he has chubby thighs and baby fat. I just feel like its my fault. Anyone else experience this sort of thing with their kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Just let him nurse for however long he chooses. The more you nurse, the more you produce.

As a mom who's son stayed in the 5th percentile until he was 4, I totally understand your frustration and your concern. Try, although I know it will be hard, to not stress. Your son will sense it and it will stress him out.

Are you giving him formula at all or straight breastmilk? As for rice cereal, most of the calories are empty... The best calories are in milk. You may try the breastfeeding group... The ladies in there are really knowledgeable. If you need to talk/vent, I'm always around. Best of luck'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haymama
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 4:07 PM
I had some issues with my first, but it was bc of me losing supply and her undiagnosed reflux at the time but the dr was throwing failure to thrive possible hospitalizatin maybe a feeding tube, i had to go in weekly for weight checks it was overwhelming, could there be an underlying issues medically with ur baby? We looked at the differwnt brands of babyfood bc the same food sometimes had different calorie amounts. All babies grow different they are individuals, is he losing weight? Lethargic? Is he more fussy than normal? If hes still happy and active not losing weight i would just keep offering food/boob and if hes hungry he will eat
MommyHoney22
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM
Breastmilk only and started in solids at 5 months. I talked to the working moms breastfeeding group about how to produce more when he was 4 mo and they told me I was feeding him way too much.

I just feel like im a bad mom, but I know im not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyHoney22
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM
He's happy and fine! Just didn't gain the 27 oz he should have in the last 3 months. He only gained 10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM
2 moms liked this
You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. Lol. They eat until full and the trigger in their brain helps control their appetite.

You can look at every possible cause from medical to nutritional, but as long as he's hitting milestones/ producing diapers he should be fine.

I was made to feel like a failure as a mom when Landon, at the age if 12 months, only weighed 17 pounds. I was ordered to stop breastfeeding immediately, to see a nutritionist and to come in weekly for weight checks. I was told that if Landon didn't drink whole milk he would be dumb. He's now 4.5 years old and weighs 34 pounds. I just have a small child. :)

Oh and those stupid charts- those ate based off formula fed babies, not booby fed. Or so I've been told.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Here's a BUMP

I would put the cereal in his bottle. If Bf maybe pump and add cereal to it...?

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 25, 2011 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Try not to let the growth charts get to you! As long as he is happy, healthy, developing well, and all that he is just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM
Cereal in a bottle is debatable. I've been told by many not to do it but I'm sure there's doctors out there who still suggest it.

Quoting goddess99:

Here's a BUMP

I would put the cereal in his bottle. If Bf maybe pump and add cereal to it...?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyLauren55
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Im not gonna be much help, my son has always been a little bit on the smaller side, maybe supplement with a little formula? I know you want to breastfeed, but maybe its best for him? Thats what I had to end up doing....Good luck

USAFamily
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I'm guessing you're breast feeding? And if that's the case, the growth charts at your Drs office usually are not tailored specifically to breastfed babies.

My oldest was in the 5-10th percentile until after her first bday, but was growing normally in all other areas, so no one worried too much about it.

My youngest fell completely off the charts in weight and her drs started to stress out. When she turned 1, she weighed 14 lbs. I never worried about it- she had a good demeanor, she was still breastfeeding plenty, plus by now we were introducing solids. She is now 3.5 and very healthy.

I would not worry about it, unless your child starts showing signs of malnourishment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN