Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 6 mo old (PIOG) need advice or someone who understands

Posted by   + Show Post
Yesterday Teddy had his 6 month well baby check. He's not growing enough!

He's only 14lbs 12oz, only gaining 10 oz in the past 3 months and he is now in the 5th percentile and not on a curve. :( the doctor is so concerned I have to feed him only breastmilk (or formula), avacadi, banana and rice cereal...cause nothing else has enough calories.

They even have to check his weight next month. I've been feeding him, he's not hungry. But now the doc says I have to try and feed him half again as much as we have to double as much as we have been. I dunno how I'm gonna produce that much milk or get him to eat that much.

I'm very worried about my baby! He grew 3/4 of an inch in length and is only at 20th percentile. And his head grew 1/2 inch and is at 65th. It's like only his head grew. Im sooooo worried!

He's not skinny or anything, he has chubby thighs and baby fat. I just feel like its my fault. Anyone else experience this sort of thing with their kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 25, 2011 at 3:47 PM
Replies (21-26):
MrsErdos2011
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he meeting milestones? Dont worry about the numbers they are just that numbers. All they mean is out of 100 boys his EXACT age hes bigger than that percent of them. 

harream
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 6:12 PM

My daughter was in the 3-5 percentile till she was 4 then she jumped to the 50th percentile. In my experience we did a wight check every other day for a the first 3 weeks but when we switched dr's when she was 3 months they didn't have a problem with her weight. I was told to wake her up every h1-2 hrs to nurse even at night but I woke her she didn't nurse, just latched on to make me happy. I had a baby scale that I used and I know it didn't match the dr office but I used to see how much she really was eating, she ate 2-3oz every time and had the right amount of diapers.

If he's hungry he'll eat if not I wouldn't force it on him. I know you should listen to the dr but also remember you are the mommy and you need to be comfortable with how you take care of your son. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you :-)

harream
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Quoting harream:

My daughter was in the 3-5 percentile till she was 4 then she jumped to the 50th percentile. In my experience we did a wight check every other day for a the first 3 weeks but when we switched dr's when she was 3 months they didn't have a problem with her weight. I was told to wake her up every h1-2 hrs to nurse even at night but I woke her she didn't nurse, just latched on to make me happy. I had a baby scale that I used and I know it didn't match the dr office but I used to see how much she really was eating, she ate 2-3oz every time and had the right amount of diapers.

If he's hungry he'll eat if not I wouldn't force it on him. I know you should listen to the dr but also remember you are the mommy and you need to be comfortable with how you take care of your son. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you :-)

By the way both my daughters were about 17 months before they were 20lbs!!! Some babies are just small, look at family history to.

FarmWifeNY
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM

try yogurt!  :)  Do you make your own baby food?  My son can't get enough bananas...I give him squash and beans first so he's not as "starving" when he gets to bananas....

MommyHoney22
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM
Probably 4-6 wet diapers a day and poop sometimes he won't go for 1-3 days but for my family that's normal. Docs not too worried about that...maybe we should be. I dunno.

His lowest gain has been 10oz in 3 months. He weighs 14.75lbs right now and was born at 8.125 lbs.

I nurse on demand when I'm home, but I work full time and go to school so he has bottles 4 days a week, gets those on demand too. I'm having everyone who watches him offer him bottles more often now hoping hell eat more.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

BM breaks down the carbs in cereal. How many diapers (pee or poo doesnt matter aslong as its dirty) is he having in a 24 hour period? what was his lowest weight? Are you nursing on demand?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MegaMutant
by on Oct. 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM

He sounds fine to me. For breastfed babies (and any baby, really) the numbers don't matter. As long as the diaper count is where it should be (and it is), his milestones are within the normal range, and he's not fussing because he's hungry then there's nothing to worry about. Doctors just like to micromanage everything and "fix" things that don't need to be fixed.

Quoting MommyHoney22:

Probably 4-6 wet diapers a day and poop sometimes he won't go for 1-3 days but for my family that's normal. Docs not too worried about that...maybe we should be. I dunno.

His lowest gain has been 10oz in 3 months. He weighs 14.75lbs right now and was born at 8.125 lbs.

I nurse on demand when I'm home, but I work full time and go to school so he has bottles 4 days a week, gets those on demand too. I'm having everyone who watches him offer him bottles more often now hoping hell eat more.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

BM breaks down the carbs in cereal. How many diapers (pee or poo doesnt matter aslong as its dirty) is he having in a 24 hour period? what was his lowest weight? Are you nursing on demand?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN