Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Money Notebook

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM
  • 36 Replies

Does anyone do this? Keep track in a notebook how much money comes in and how much goes out? And on what?

We started doing this yesterday because I couldn't get the checkbook to balance and as I was going through receipts I noticed that I didn't put a withdrawal for $60 in the checkbook. O_O $60 - that's a bill or bounced check. I mean nothing like that happened but it could have and I know it's my fault. I took the money out about a week ago and have No idea why or what I spent it on. So now I'm keeping track.

by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicaaris
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I do that every now and then, I will forget to write something down. I am pretty good about keeping track though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I used to be alot better at keeping track. This $60 was not the 1st time or even the 2nd or 3rd =( ..now I just have to remember to write it in my notebook lol

Quoting jessicaaris:

I do that every now and then, I will forget to write something down. I am pretty good about keeping track though.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

No, the closest I have to a money notebook is a spreadsheet I have going for the box tops.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

hmm I wish my box top volunteer was that organized!!

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

No, the closest I have to a money notebook is a spreadsheet I have going for the box tops.

ygglove
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I keep track of my bills on a big marker board. When they're due, when it's coming out, and how much DH's check is. Then we normally take out like a couple hundred dollars a week to last us the week for gas, drinks, snacks, movie time w/e  we want to do..

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM
No. I would love to get bf to do that though. I wish he would realize how much $ he wastes on buying soda and snacks at the gas station instead of the grocery store. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pepsi_lover_mom
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I only keep cash. I will take the exact amount plus $1 of all of my bills and deposit it into my bank account and pay bills. With what is left in cash I put gas in the car, buy groceries and hide the rest until I need more gas or something of that nature.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 3, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I keep track of bills on a spreadsheet on my laptop but apparently I'm just Willy - Nilly with whatever is left over lol

Quoting ygglove:

I keep track of my bills on a big marker board. When they're due, when it's coming out, and how much DH's check is. Then we normally take out like a couple hundred dollars a week to last us the week for gas, drinks, snacks, movie time w/e  we want to do..

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Yeah I know, I think this will help me realize how much money I actually waste.

Quoting splatz:

No. I would love to get bf to do that though. I wish he would realize how much $ he wastes on buying soda and snacks at the gas station instead of the grocery store. :/

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I see alot of Budget/Debt type shows always recommend just using cash. I normally don't use credit cards but the damn debit card gets me in trouble - hence the $60 I forgot I withdrew. hmm...

Quoting pepsi_lover_mom:

I only keep cash. I will take the exact amount plus $1 of all of my bills and deposit it into my bank account and pay bills. With what is left in cash I put gas in the car, buy groceries and hide the rest until I need more gas or something of that nature.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)