Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Great news! And bad.

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
I took my 15 month old to the doc today for 2 reasons.
1) He hasn't eaten in 2 days. Cause - strep. Yeah poor guy. He got it from me. I wasn't expecting that. He looks great but was concerned cause he has a GREAT appetite usually.
2) I was concerned of autism. Yes, unrelated. I was concerned because I know one of the early signs of autism is violent outbursts and tantrums. That is actually the only symptom that I know of. But, my prayers were answered and after a series of questions from our pedi, he ruled out autism. He said my son shows a lot affection (when he wants to). He said he can follow instructions pretty well and he performs creative play and a lot of other things that didn't add up to autism. But we are going to keep an eye on his speech until his 15 month check up just in case because he used to say a few words that he somehow forgot to say and now the only word in his vocabulay is "mama." The doc may also refer me to a behavioral therapist for some things we can do at home since he is so "spirited" as pedi calls him. I had other words in mind. "Temper-mental" is the kind word. Jk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad to hear it's not autism.. :)

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Boys and speech is frustrating. Landon didn't really start talking until after his 2nd birthday and even then it was hard to understand. Now I can't get the kid to hush! Lol

With him not really talking, he might be more probe to outbursts because he wants to communicate but isn't sure how. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!! ((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TammyArms
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:07 PM
My 5 year old has been in speech therapy since he turned 4 and it's worked wonders. My theory for him is his vocal cords were damaged with all the tubes and wires shoved in his throat when he was born due to his severe meconium aspiration. But, yes, now that he's understandable, he doesn't shush either.
As far as Jayden goes, he may be spoiled. If Elijah takes a toy away from him and Jayden starts hitting non-stop it's "Elijah, give that toy back to him." Or if Jayden is headbanging the floor, I'm like, "Well maybe he's hungry or wants a bottle," instead of trying to teach him to use words.

Quoting jltplk25:

Boys and speech is frustrating. Landon didn't really start talking until after his 2nd birthday and even then it was hard to understand. Now I can't get the kid to hush! Lol

With him not really talking, he might be more probe to outbursts because he wants to communicate but isn't sure how. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!! ((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:09 PM

My youngest didn't talk much at first either but after some speech therapy we decided she just didn't have anything to say. Now she's a little chatterbox.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM
My mil was concerned about Landon's speech so I had a developmental test dine when he was 3. He scored good/average on everything... He was so/so on cognitive and they said something about his annunciation. He says 'pider' instead of spider. Landon will be 5 in December so I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned with or just age related. The doctor didn't seem too concerned. :-/

Have you thought about teaching your youngest sign language? I know that's helped my 16 month old tremendously.

Quoting TammyArms:

My 5 year old has been in speech therapy since he turned 4 and it's worked wonders. My theory for him is his vocal cords were damaged with all the tubes and wires shoved in his throat when he was born due to his severe meconium aspiration. But, yes, now that he's understandable, he doesn't shush either.

As far as Jayden goes, he may be spoiled. If Elijah takes a toy away from him and Jayden starts hitting non-stop it's "Elijah, give that toy back to him." Or if Jayden is headbanging the floor, I'm like, "Well maybe he's hungry or wants a bottle," instead of trying to teach him to use words.

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TammyArms
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM
The only sign I know is the sign for "more" because my older son was taught that when he was 2 by a previous speech therapist and I tried to show him just once so far because he is good with signs such as "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and pointing and waving and clapping for "yay" and "Patty Cake" and such. Oh and I do know the sign for "please" so I'll work with him more on those. He's GREAT at immitating sounds. He's like a little parrot.

Quoting jltplk25:

My mil was concerned about Landon's speech so I had a developmental test dine when he was 3. He scored good/average on everything... He was so/so on cognitive and they said something about his annunciation. He says 'pider' instead of spider. Landon will be 5 in December so I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned with or just age related. The doctor didn't seem too concerned. :-/

Have you thought about teaching your youngest sign language? I know that's helped my 16 month old tremendously.

Quoting TammyArms:

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
You can check your local library for books. I started doing some signing when I was younger for a church thing. I tell my husband that I know enough to be dangerous. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TammyArms
by on Nov. 5, 2011 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I think I may just ought to work with him more on the speech. I'll do the signing as well but he is SUCH a good immitater that he should pick it up soon. I just haven't worked with him much on it thinking he'd just pick it up on his own. I did teach him to say puppy today. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmom72
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

our daycare introduced sign language to our boy before 1yo, we jumped on it @ home too & WOW it made a huge difference when his little body wasn't formed enough to say what he wanted he could sign it. It lessened his frustration & was great for "talking" across a room when he was doing something he shouldn't. He's 6 & we only use it when we correct him or when I refuse to yell to make him stop something. I snap my fingers & he'll turn his head & I'll sign- he knows better to keep @ it if I'm using sign to get his attention!! OH & he's got a very articulate vocabulary for a boy too. good luck & keep working @ it.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM
Glad he doesn't have autism and sorry you and him got strep! That's def no fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)