Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My Best Mommy Friends Live In My Computer

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
Posted by Christie Haskell on Nov 6, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Sometimes the idea of packing up kids to head off to a playdate can be more than I'm willing to deal with. Also, I often find that the idea of trying to get to know someone in person can be overwhelming, especially for people who sometimes struggle with social situations. Making mom friends can often be like dating -- Does she like me? Is she judging my parenting right now? What happens if I don't like her, but then keep running into her?

Thanks to the internet, though, we as moms have the amazing opportunity to skip the crappy dating stage, and make some awesome friends. I know some people find the internet impersonal, but honestly, it really doesn't have to be. Done right, you can tailor-make support just where you need it, with just the right people for it to be a positive thing.

I don't mean to be sappy, I don't, but my little friends who live in my computer mean the world to me.

And yes, of course, I have friends outside the internet as well. Cool enough, half of them I've met online, or in the case of a couple, I went to school with and as they became mothers, we reconnected online and now hang out again in person, as very different people than we used to be. I also sadly moved away from some women I loved dearly, but because of the internet, can keep in touch with them, watch their children grow and still feel like I'm a part of their lives from miles, and sometimes even oceans away.

Some of the women I've known and come to care about deeply through the internet, I've now known for over four years or more, through marriages and divorces, births and losses, great joy and great heartache. Yes, seriously. And best of all, many of these girls talk to each other on the phone, on Skype, and even fly across the country to meet each other.

I know to some, especially husbands, "internet friends" can seem weird, or they don't understand how you can bond with people online like you would in person, but I promise, you totally can. In fact, one of my favorite things about the web is the specific support groups. I'm in religious groups, food groups, book groups, gaming groups, friendship groups both large and small, and targeted parenting groups, also both large and incredibly small and close-knit.

It's nice to be able to have somewhere to go to talk about anything, and know that those women there already are on a similar page, so whenever you talk about your kid's sleep, you don't have to debate CIO, or when you talk about discipline, it doesn't derail into an argument about spanking. Popular opinion or not, I don't really like getting parenting advice in larger groups or non-specific groups because a lot more time is spent arguing than helping. Plus, in a small, tight-knit group, these people know you, your family, your kids ... they can remind you of things that happened in your own life awhile ago and help you put together puzzle pieces you might have missed. And being the internet means I can log on at noon or midnight and likely find someone to talk to, or even call if I need to.

As a mom, I would have never learned about breastfeeding a kid with reflux or how to better my car seat practices without the lovely women I've met online, and now when I hear "friends", I automatically think of these ladies. For all the bad press the internet gets, it can be a mom's best friend too ... or at least help her find some.

Enough sap ... do you have some online friends you cherish?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LovelyLauren55
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Oh yes, and a few are in this group! :)

mrsnoble2004
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I don't know about cherish. I have online friends that I look forward to "talking" to though.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Yes, when my daughter was diagnosed with a rare disease my online group was how I learned about it. Doctors don't have time to sit down and teach you everything and there wasn't a whole lot to be found on the net about her disease. Without this group of wonderful people I would never have learned a thing! I made great friendships. I don't know what I would have done without them! I am still a member and we learn from each other.

On CafeMom I have met some amazing mom's and we share our lives together. I love CafeMom!

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Yep this

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

I don't know about cherish. I have online friends that I look forward to "talking" to though.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM
I've made a few good friends online here at Cafemom! : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MikeysMom22
by Member on Nov. 7, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Yes, I agree it is nice to be able to chat with other moms who have similar issues going on.. you have a child with special needs, there are groups for that sometime the specific disorder or disease too. You like to make homemade gifts.. groups for that too. You love to cook or find frugual recipes groups for that too.  Of course, you have to  go thru the info you learn online and apply it to your own situation but in general it is a great place to network.

geekmommy84
by on Nov. 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM
I have some online friends, most are busy. *sigh* i agree i tried the playdate thing it was more stress and nerve wrecking than to be comfortable and enjoy each others company.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Same here. Most of my friends that I trust the most (which isn't easy for me) are in this group and my military group.

Quoting LovelyLauren55:

Oh yes, and a few are in this group! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN