Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

About birth control & lack of periods.

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have read of a lot of ladies not getting their periods for months, or years at a time when they are on birth control. Question, where does that old blood go then? I always thought that not getting a period like that just cannot be healthy. I would be pretty damn scared if I wasn't getting a period in years. Am I alone on this? Is there a health risk to not getting your period while on BC?

by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mrsnoble2004
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I agree. Getting a monthly period for me at least lets me know that everything is more or less functionally properly.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM
I'm not sure. I've wondered that too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM
When you have your period, its not only bnlood but the unfertilized egg and lining of the uterus that's comes out. I've read that it isn't necessarily unhealthy to not get a period. The horomones trick your body into thinking its pregnant. And if your body thinks its pregnant there's no physiological reason to have a period. But many women feel more comfortable with a monthly period. I quite enjoyed the more than a year I didn't have one while I was preggo and breastfeeding. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM
I've always wondered about that. No idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM
Not sure! I guess it just builds up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sara.Worthey
by Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM
There is no need to have a period when on BC according to my doc. You don't release an egg which then never triggers the body to make a lining so no old blood. I have been without a period since jan 2010 (son born oct 2010) and loving it. I do do random pregnancy tests maybe once every other month if something feels off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Don't know - tubes tied

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN