Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

how in the heck...

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM
  • 11 Replies
I'm new to this group my first posting so ill introduce myself...I'm Sara I have twin 6 yr old boys been married to my dh for 3 yrs in May but been together for 7 years...now on to my question...
How do I get my 6 yr to clean his room without fighting with him? I've made them pick up since they could understand it but they still don't understand when I say its time to pick up I mean everything & that no one needs to help them do it since they made the mess!!
I've thought bout a sticker chart or an allowance but I just don't know if it will do it for him...hes an extremely emotional kid when it comes to this stuff & these things have never worked for him before..

Any suggestion ladies?
Thanks in advance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsnoble2004
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Well at our house if you can make the mess you can clean it up. If I tell you to clean your room and you don't, don't be surprised if all the toys you left on the floor disappear.

DissieDothe
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

So the one who will not clean his room is a twin. Is the other boy cleaning?

If the other boy is good at cleaning, have the boy who will not clean perform an act of service for the boy who does clean.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

We've done the "pick it up or it goes in the trash" route but Landon wised up and will tell us to just throw it away. We still make him pick it up though. lol. We also just take the toys away and he has to earn them back.

Try racing...making it more into a game may make the participants more willing. I know my Nana used to call my room my "apartment" so that I would clean up my mess. Worked for her, I guess. ;)

mrsnoble2004
by on Nov. 6, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Oh it's not a trick. I got fend up with them thinking it was just a threat and actually salvation army-ed 3 fifty-five gallon bags of toys. They pick up their stuff now.

Quoting jltplk25:

We've done the "pick it up or it goes in the trash" route but Landon wised up and will tell us to just throw it away. We still make him pick it up though. lol. We also just take the toys away and he has to earn them back.

Try racing...making it more into a game may make the participants more willing. I know my Nana used to call my room my "apartment" so that I would clean up my mess. Worked for her, I guess. ;)

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM

After a while I would tell my dd if I had to bend over and pick it up she would never see it again. I have thrown some things out (nothing expensive) but that has helped because she knows I'm not kidding when I say it.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM
The sticker idea is good but ya don't want to get them to use to be rewarded for things they should be doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM
Pick it up or its getting trashed has always worked for us. He picks up everything now.

It also helps that everything has a place. So once clean up time comes he knows where to put everything. We did metal cubes and little totes or boxes for each type of toy. Ex: action figures go in an old diaper box that I cut the top off of. Cars go in a plastic tote. Legos in another. Etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2011 at 11:27 PM
Oh wow!! I can't bring myself to do it. I've placed toys in the trash but later got them out. I know I'm not doing anyone any favors though.

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

Oh it's not a trick. I got fend up with them thinking it was just a threat and actually salvation army-ed 3 fifty-five gallon bags of toys. They pick up their stuff now.

Quoting jltplk25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM
The mess is probably too overwhelming even tho he made it. Don't help him, but he still needs direction. I used stand at the doorway and tell him where to start, next, and your books go where? Etc. if it wasn't to "perfection" I'd tell him great job but I still see two things still on the floor, do you have a place for them? Or do we need to find a spot?
At his age (plus the emotions ) it's equivalent to letting the laundry pile up because you were sick a weekend... You get kinda overwhelmed just looking at it. So does he.
AlexDakotasMom
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:00 AM
This is a good idea to help but not help! The throwing of toys away doesn't do anything for him we dis that before & this is where were at still all it did was set his emotions higher & cost me money thanks for the advice ladies!!

Quoting hollydaze1974:

The mess is probably too overwhelming even tho he made it. Don't help him, but he still needs direction. I used stand at the doorway and tell him where to start, next, and your books go where? Etc. if it wasn't to "perfection" I'd tell him great job but I still see two things still on the floor, do you have a place for them? Or do we need to find a spot?

At his age (plus the emotions ) it's equivalent to letting the laundry pile up because you were sick a weekend... You get kinda overwhelmed just looking at it. So does he.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN