Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Kindle/Nook

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM
  • 25 Replies
Can anyone give me a recommendation? Aubrey isn't real interested in reading and she's a little below grade level with her reading skills so DH and I want to get her an ereader cuz we're hoping it'll make her want to read more cuz it's cool...totally how my kid is...lol. Anyway, which would be better? She's almost 9. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
praisinghim2day
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I prefer Nook.  (and Consumer Reports agrees!)  I had a Kindle, then made the switch shortly thereafter.  Here are just a few of the many reasons why.

1.  With Nook, if anything goes wrong with the battery, you can replace the battery.  With Kindle, you have to replace the entire device.

2. With Nook, their customer service (imo) is way better 1-800-THE-BOOK (and have had to use it less with Nook than Kindle)  I also prefer having the option of getting face to face help in any B&N store, plus they have Nook classes you can go to in the store.  These 2 things alone insure that you get the most out of your device.  The Nook Salespeople are very knowledgable and are very helpful.

3. You can borrow books from the library with Nook.

4. You can lend books back and forth with Nook (I *think* Kindle now does that too?)

5. With Nook you can get books from ANY sight BUT Amazon. (including millions of free ones!) With Kindle you're locked into Amazon for your books.

mstef99
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:39 AM

I'm interested in this too.  Want one for christmas but WHICH one!

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I had a friend who did this exact same thing. Bought her dd who was behind an ereader but it didn't make any difference. She was complaining that she was out all that money.

Good luck. Maybe just some tutoring in school would help.

praisinghim2day
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Quoting mstef99:

I'm interested in this too.  Want one for christmas but WHICH one!

I started with the Nook Wi-Fi (the original).  E-ink, black and white, looks exactly like the page of a book.  Absolutely ZERO glare so you can read outside in the bright sunlight easily. Those are down to $89 and cases are now only $15.  Those are being phased out, but they're good little machines.  On this one, there is just a small touch screen along the bottom, this is the only part that is touch screen.

I now have the Nook Simple Touch. Those are $139.  It's also has e-ink, and Wi-fi, but the entire screen is touch screen. Therefore there is no touchscreen section at the bottom.  This makes the device significantly smaller than it's predecessor, but your reading screen size is the same.  Don't know the meaning of a word?  touch the word and it will give you the definition. (Nook Wi-fi also has this feature, but since the touch screen is just at the bottom, it's not as user friendly) Nook Simple Touch and Nook Wi-fi both have a micro sd slot to save your books on. There is, however, plenty of internal memory.   With this device, and the other two that will be listed after this one in my response, you can have "Nook Friends" where you add friends via email address, and they can see what books you have to lend. Great feature :) 

* Nook filling up?  You can move your books to B&N.com and "archive" (save)  your books there for free and be able to access them anytime.*

There is also the Nook Color at $199.  This device is a lot like a tablet.  Surf the web, download aps, etc.  You can also get magazine and newspaper subscriptions to this device and there are "interactive" books for this.  From kids books to recipe books.  This screen is more like the screen of a computer.  There will be glare, and more difficult to read if you enjoy reading outside.  I thought about buying this one, until the salesman brought it outside with the "antiglare" screen so I could see how I liked it.  It didn't cut down on glare enough for my liking.

Coming soon!  You can now pre-order the Nook Tablet for $249.  It's like an iPad.  This is going to be similar to the Nook Color, but there will be more space.

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lukesgirl228
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

nook, love mine

new.identity
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Your review is very helpful, thanks. 

Quoting praisinghim2day:

I prefer Nook.  (and Consumer Reports agrees!)  I had a Kindle, then made the switch shortly thereafter.  Here are just a few of the many reasons why.

1.  With Nook, if anything goes wrong with the battery, you can replace the battery.  With Kindle, you have to replace the entire device.

2. With Nook, their customer service (imo) is way better 1-800-THE-BOOK (and have had to use it less with Nook than Kindle)  I also prefer having the option of getting face to face help in any B&N store, plus they have Nook classes you can go to in the store.  These 2 things alone insure that you get the most out of your device.  The Nook Salespeople are very knowledgable and are very helpful.

4. You can lend books back and forth with Nook (I *think* Kindle now does that too?)

5. With Nook you can get books from ANY sight BUT Amazon. (including millions of free ones!) With Kindle you're locked into Amazon for your books.

Gardeningmom4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I would get her the leapfrog tag reading learning system.It has a pen that you run over the word that you don't know how to pronounce and read and it will tell it to you.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/Development-Learning-Toys/Learning-Systems/_/N-73e0?browsein=true&ic=32_0&ref=+330984&catNavId=534556&povid=cat56125-env201187-moduleA080411-lLinkLHN3LearningSystems

praisinghim2day
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

You're very welcome :)  Also, if you want some more input, there's a group on cm called "I Love My Nook (Barnes & Noble e-reader)" .  Lots of ladies in there who are always willing to help :)  Some have Nook, some have Nook Color.  You will be able to get more info and reviews on the Nook Color from those ladies.  Since I don't own one, they would be of more assistance if you have any questions about them. :)

Quoting new.identity:

Your review is very helpful, thanks. 

Quoting praisinghim2day:

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
She's already in double dose at school...it's helping I guess but she's in it with 10 other kids. So she doesn't get a ton of one-on-one and the class is only 30 minutes.

Plus if she doesn't use it...I will...lol

Quoting goddess99:

I had a friend who did this exact same thing. Bought her dd who was behind an ereader but it didn't make any difference. She was complaining that she was out all that money.

Good luck. Maybe just some tutoring in school would help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)