Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Thinking about getting fixed.. need to hear other experiences & what type you had

HI,

im Tonya, i am thinking about getting fixed. *yes i am only 23 years old* my husband and i have discussed this for 3 years now. I had our daughter at 17 and our twin boys at 19. I do not want any more children and neither does my husband, and IF this is a BIG IF i decide to years down the road it has been a dream of ours to adopt other children. I am physically and emotionally ready to have this done. i am considering either a tubal ligation *although i have heard a lot of negative things on this* or  *Essure which is micro inserts put into the fallopian tubes * which involves no surgery and a much faster recovery. I need to hear experiences and pros & cons of each from another persons apect. * one who has actually had it done! please help. I am leaning towards the *essure* but i would like to hear discussion on both sides/

Thanks,

Tonya

by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
bubbasmom0917
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I got the essure last month and have 1 son. It took about 20 minutes to get it done and you can go on your way. I went out to eat and the next day I vacuumed the house. Dr gave me valium to take an hour before the procedure, but it didn't do anything. He said I should have been feeling something, but nothing. He gave me more shots down there just in case I still felt things, but I didn't. No pain after. It is permanent, so make sure your done with babies.

bubbasmom0917
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Men can walk out alright, with a limp!! If you get your tubes tied, it is an outpatient now and essure takes 20 minutes and your out eating with the family.

Quoting LuckyStarr28:

It is so much easier for the man to get a vasectomy.  He can walk out of there after the operation and drive home.  Women on the other hand have to be hospitalized and it is much more major.  Women carry the children so I think this is the least men can do when a couple has reached their limit.

chubby10
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Quoting goddess99:

I had my tubes tied while I had a csection. Never had any problems

LoriDeen
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I had a tubal when I was around 30, and loved it. The recovery was quick and I had no problems at all, never did. For me, it was the right choice.

Gogi86
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM
I had the same procedure. For me, I didn't want to deal with a period if I wasn't going to have any more kids anyway. I was back at work the next week and have never felt better!

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

I had a vaginal hysterectomy. Best decision I ever made. I stayed in the hospital for 3 day, but after the 2nd day, I felt great. It has way lest recovery time then if you get cut open.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tonya.lightfoot
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM

from what my doctor said *ESSURE* i go in and im done 20 minutes later with a mild anesticic. the tubal he said causes more down time & well with 3 children i dont have *down time.* My husband and i talked about it and i dont want to have any more kids period & i want to protect myselft & i know that even if something happens years down the road. I am still done having kids. regardless. which is why i want to take it upon myself to do this.  He said a lot of women blamed their tubal for heavier periods and more cramping. which i normally have in the first place from before all the birth control. He also reccomended getting edometrial ablation which would help with that. 

@lovelylauren55 in Minnesota it is against the law for anyone under the age of 21 to have a permanent birth control procedure done. 

@MJDC. are you happy with the procedure. have you had any problems other than a longer monthly cycle? any weight gain or anything like that? let me know :) 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Mine did also. It is much easier on the man!!

Quoting USAFamily:

I didn't do either. My Dh got a vasectomy -it took 20 minutes and he was fine in a day.

kaitybird
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I had my tubes tied when I was 21, untied later and retied after our daughter was born.  I had c-sections so it didn't bother me to have the procedure done.  

To each their own.  There is NEVER a guarantee if you change your mind later that if the procedure is reversed you will get pregnant.  It took me 3 years and a weight loss of almost 50 pounds and I was pregnant 11 days after hubby got home from deployment.  :)

tonya.lightfoot
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM
i have no intentions of getting it reversed. If plans change we are going to adopt a less fortunate child :)
Kimbalou23
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 4:51 AM
I ended up getting a vaginal hysterectomy at 31 yrs old. They discovered afterwards that I had 2 massive fibroid tumors and severe adenomyosis. If I had been lucky to conceive baby #6 (I'd miscarried once before) they said neither I nor the baby would have made it. But I can honestly say it was the best thing ever. Even having tubes tied you still have to deal with the periods. I for one do not miss mine in any way, shape, or form!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)