Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

ADHD HELP PLEASE!!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM
  • 6 Replies

My son just turned 5 a few months ago, my husband has always said he's ADHD but I ignore him since he's so young, I thought it was something he would grow out of. Now that he will be starting kindergarten next year I am starting to worry a little more. How young is too young to be diagnosed? How do I/doctors know if he is a rambunctious child or ADHD? I DO NOT want him to be put on medication, so I want to be educated before taking him to the doctor. He just seems to block us out  and not listen sometimes, which in turn gets him in trouble. He is my first, and only so I'm not sure if his behavior is normal or not. Please help L I do not want to medicate my baby L

by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM

My dd is like that too and has been for many years. She's 9 now. The school years ago diagnosed her as ADHD but none of them are doctors so I've disregarded it. I Will Not Medicate and because of this my doctor (who is also her Dr.) said there's no point to going through all the tests and stuff since you don't plan to medicate. So we haven't and we won't. I work with my dd all the time and have for really her whole life. We talk alot and there are consequences to some of her actions. I do let some things go. The best advice I ever got was "Pick Your Battles" I live by that!! I would write a brief note to the school just informing them of his behaviors so they can decide if maybe the kindergarten teacher might want an extra aid in the classroom and so on. I wouldn't worry too much and I've been there.

mrsnoble2004
by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM

bump

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlexSosa
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Hate to say this but sugar can do that. Im not saying that you are giving your child too much sugar, just that it is a possibility. I had ADHD all my life, but my mom never medicated me. A new thing that you can do that scientists have discovered is, coffee. Beleive it or not a little bit of caffiene will slow him down, you can try it. Whats the harm if it works?

Devtanbay3
by on Nov. 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM
Has he been in any kind of structured environment such as preschool? Usually it is in those situations you can really see the signs of ADHD. They can't sit still, they blurt out answers at inappropriate times, interrupt frequently and just cannot focus for very long at all and I'm talking 5 minutes or less. There are natural things you can try. Diet, limiting certain tv programs (Spongebob), structure & a clear reward/consequence plan. My nephew is 6 just started Kindergarten and we knew beforehand he was ADHD but his dad was in denial. He is now struggling but in counseling and some of the above suggestions have helped A LOT!! My 16 yr. old son just recently weaned himself off of Adderall after 3 yrs. & is doing great but I agree meds should be a last resort especially for someone so young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I agree. Diet and limiting tv helps ALOT!! My dd doesn't get anything red or hotdogs(at home anyway). We cancelled cable and that helped. But before I cancelled it, I had lost it 1 day and took away tv for 2 weeks and holy whoa I had a new kid. It was a complete 360. For my dd it has to do with the lights the tv emits. I don't know how else to explain it, but it's been proven to me that that is a part of what affects my dd in a negative way.

Quoting Devtanbay3:

Has he been in any kind of structured environment such as preschool? Usually it is in those situations you can really see the signs of ADHD. They can't sit still, they blurt out answers at inappropriate times, interrupt frequently and just cannot focus for very long at all and I'm talking 5 minutes or less. There are natural things you can try. Diet, limiting certain tv programs (Spongebob), structure & a clear reward/consequence plan. My nephew is 6 just started Kindergarten and we knew beforehand he was ADHD but his dad was in denial. He is now struggling but in counseling and some of the above suggestions have helped A LOT!! My 16 yr. old son just recently weaned himself off of Adderall after 3 yrs. & is doing great but I agree meds should be a last resort especially for someone so young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN