Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Hello Mom's - I need advice

Posted by   + Show Post

I am the mother of a 10 month old son.I am a college student and a wife.

My son is driving me insane today. He has never been a crier everyone has always said what a good baby he is .

The thing is he is 10 months old and walking. He has learned to climb so he has started  to climb everything.  He gets into everything and the word no has zero efect on him. I will tell him NO and move him and he will go right back to what he was doing or find something else to do he sould not be doing.

He is driving me nuts getting in to everything. My living room has been baby proffed for the most part so he is baby gated in there. With all of his toys. He has started climbing the gates.

Someone give me some advice please

by on Nov. 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM
Replies (21-27):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM
My baby is only 6 months so besides my nanny experience I can't give much advice. They are ganna crawl and climb and sometimes baby proofing fails. Just try to be patient and keep him entertained as much as possible! I know things have to get done and its ok to let him cry, just no longer than 10 mins according to our pedi! Good luck and BUMP! : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 7:53 PM

try getting a baby gate that he can't climb.. some of the wood bar ones may be better because there is nothing to put his little feet on to climb over it..

You can also look around, sometimes pet gates are taller than baby gates, and may work better for a climber.

Jjsmommy03
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM

its a totally typical normal thing my son walked at 9 months and we went through the exact same thing , saying no didnt work , putting him somewhere different didnt work either , . just distract with something hes interested in and always make sure you know where hes at, i cant even began to tell you how many plates and cups hes broken at my mil's house lol.<she has too much stuff everywhere>lol anyway hell grow out of it once he starts to like cartoons like the junior disney channel or shows that get his attention:) god luck and may god be with you  

hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM
Double the gates and this will sound weird, get a spray bottle, fill it up with water and when he doesn't hear "no" spray him with a little squirt of water to get a little more of his attention. At least enough time to say no louder and redirect him.
Mel30248
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I hate to say it but this is a stage =/ there isnt much you can do but continue to be insane. Keep talking to him bc believe it or not & despite what some ladies will say the more words you say to your child a day the better their language skills will be.

Redirection if your able to do so. Walker? Highchair? Anything where you can put him & he'll not climb out of & give him things he likes to play with.

How about some really baby friendly DVD's? I'm not pushing tv on you by any means but gosh sometimes you do just go nuts & need that break & a show is just what will give it to you.

SheezCraftyNot
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Ugh, this was my son too.  Walking the stairs and climbing out of his crib at 14mos, then unplugging a socket protector and handing it to me.  Redirection helped, creating safe areas where he could hone his skills helped, learning some moves from a local mini monkey for 18mo class helped.  He's 3-1/2 and I'm just now able to leave him in another room while I try and do something, like get a glass of water.  Once a stunt double, always a stunt double.  Good luck :)!

ExquisiteMomof2
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 11:39 PM

lol.... You reminded me of MY son. He is 14 months old! lol. He has been walking since right before he turned 9 months old. And he STILL climbs everything! 

We went and bought a very expensive walk through gate that has tall vertical slats, and that's it. I found it on sale for 50% at Burlington Coat Factory.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)