Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Family Christmas newsletters

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

How do you feel about Christmas newsletters that some famlies send out?

Do you think they're fun? Do you think they're full of nothing but brags? Do you send you own?

by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
My stepmom is the only one I know if tgat sends them out. To me they are ridiculous because no one in our family cares about the dumb shit she writes about and those my dad is still in contact with already knows.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Nov. 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM

My family has never done that.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM
We have never done it. Nor have I ever seen someone who has.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I have only gotten 1 or 2 in the last 10 years probably. I liked them.  I haven't sent 1 out but have thought about it since my dh's family lives in another country. But none of them seem to have time to contact him so I feel like why should I waste all that time on them...?

Snakecharmer76
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM

We received about a dozen last year and seem to get more every year. I've decided to do a short one this year and to me it isn't bragging but doing a quick info highlight for friends and family. We don't always get to touch base with everyone (hubby's family alone is huuuuge) and it's a nice way to keep them up-to-date with what we're up to...especially with my husband being in the military! It's actually easier for me to do one newsletter than write detailed notes in each Christmas card.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM
I don't know anyone that does them. I always write a little highlight kinda thing in the back of the photobook I make for the grandparents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mistynights234
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

We get several of them and I love to read how the year went for those families.  They arent bragging.  They are telling us what is happening in there life ;).  Some of these folks we only see at weddings and funerals so its great to catch up :)

ripemango
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

It can be nice to be updated about a family for which you still kind of have feelings. That being said, they are sorta douchey. Even when I have been glad to receive/read one there has always been something in them that we just laughed and laughed about. The reason being, is that they are set up to be peppy, boastful, and superficial. You are only going to include the things about which you are proud, because it wouldn't really be appropriate to get something like this:

Lil Johnny is still hitting the smack pretty hard. After returning from our trip to the Grand Canyon this past October, we discovered he had ripped out all of the copper pipes in the house since he didn't have access to our ATM card. Johnny is so resourceful!

Aleta775
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I have seriously considered making a family newsletter, and not because I'm at all interested in bragging or showing off as much as I think it would be nice to sort give everyone an update of what we've doing. All of our family lives on the East coast, while we live in Colorado, and it is impossible for our family to know about all the cool stuff we've been up to. I don't know about you guys, but I'm bad to forget to mention things when I'm on a phone call. I've always been bad for that, so a family newsletter can hopefully fill in those gaps. Plus, I love the idea of including a few pictures. Since we don't see our family that much I'm sure they will be thrilled to see pics of our dd and see how much she's grown. Plus, the newsletter would keep me from writing a million canned messages in the all Christmas cards. There is also a limited amount of space inside a card, so I feel like maybe I can say more on a piece of paper. We can then fold up the newsletter and put it in the card. At least that's how I would like to do it.

I wouldn't send a newsletter to our friends and acquaintances though. A regular card will do for them only because they probably don't care as much about what we've been up to as our family members.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN