Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Stay at Home Mom v Working Mom....

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM
  • 26 Replies

I personally have been both.  I see the benefits in both.  However, I am strongly against a mom staying at home with her kids if she needs to use State Assistance to do so.  I think that being a stay at home mom is a luxury and not a right.

Looking for opinions on both sides....I am not looking to start a war just interested in the opinions of others.

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:49 AM
I've been both. For my family, me being home is more beneficial. I can't make enough money to pay for daycare for 2 to 3 kids (I would have to work some nights if I worked so all 3 would be there sometimes). My children wouldn't be able to dance either, which would kill my oldest. We do not get state assistance, sometimes I wish we did though! Lol

My best friend is a SAHM and her family gets assistance. She doesn't abuse it though. They don't get a ton of help, just a little. I don't think badly of her our think she should go work instead of being home. I guess it depends on how you're using the help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I've done both. I'm a SAHM now and have NO plans to go back to work.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this
To each their own. We all do what we think is best for our families.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2BBboys0509
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I am both now. I stay home with my boys in the day ,then go to work at night for a few hours after my husband gets home. We don't need the extra money,it is just our play money,but I feel better about myself for at least bringing in a little money. I agree,staying home is a luxury not a right. If we couldn't afford for me to stay home without assistance then I would be working. My husband would never choose government assistance when I am more then capable of getting a job and working.

lacyjones
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I agree with you.

I have been both also. I loved being at home but I also like the income ...so I put on my thinking cap, rolled up my sleeves and found something I liked to do and turned it into a way to make an income so that I could have the best of both worlds which allowed my family the little extras we would not have had otherwise financially and emotionally. The kids loved that I was home to meet their needs. My husband found lunch time to be very enjoyable as well (*wink) as that became 'our' time alone or a mid-day date time.

Everyone has different ways but this is what worked great for us as a family.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Nov. 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I think different things work for different people. You also failed to address the fact that going back to work could actually mean getting more state assistance because of daycare costs. In some families it could also cost more for the mom to work than she would bring in with a job. Daycare and gas money and pray there is something left to make it worth the trouble.

xanthian41691
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I work at home so ... am I both? lol I like being home because while on breaks I can cook dinner and get done what's needed, and once DD arrives in a week (or so) I can still take maternity leave. It's nice.

I'm just a tad obsessed with penguins...
its a girl Due: Dec 4

delmeg10
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm been both as well. I am currently a SAHM. When I was working, I was using over 70% of my paycheck to pay for child care. I had to pay for gas, and work clothes. After 7 months, my husband and I agreed that the care that my special needs children were getting, was nowhere near our standards and the measly $200-$250 a month I was bringing home, wasn't worth it. Plus, we were both more stressed out and so were our kids. 

I have learned to cut costs around the house, coupond to save money, and other things, so it works for me to stay home. Is it an ideal situation, financially? No. But when I was working full time it wasn't an ideal situation financially or for our children, so we made a choice for the good of our children.

mamacalifornia
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I have been both and must say I hated being a working mom because I missed so much of the things my kids did at school and it seemed like the evenings were rushed. I love being a stay at home mom!

I do agree with the SweetMomX4 that if you have to be on assistance that you shouldn't be a SAHM

ksbondgirl
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Well, if you have a special needs child, no others to help you, you cannot afford respite or daycare...

I am like you though as I hate to see people take advantage of the system but there are times when there is nothing else you can do.  But, this does NOT mean that you will ALWAYS be on PA, nor will you need to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)