Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mother/Sister in law. (LONG.)

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

So me and Brandon, my fiance are getting married May 20th.

His mother and sister have never really liked me, we were together 3 years ago, and they said I was pushing my daughter on him. IT was his decision. We broke up.

Now flash forward to three years later, we are now back together and planning our wedding.

Well we did our engagement pictures, my mom did them, she's a photographer, was in the b usiness for 17 years. Well he wore his ACUs, he is planning on getting back in the military. Well his sister made a negative comment about just about every single picture.I let that go.

Then, I posted about how I lost the hubby to the Xbox last week, she of course said "Not your husband yet." I let that go as well.

So we then found a cake for the wedding that we really really loved. It's the Nittany Lion from Penn State, on the rock, and then the bottom round peice will be a hockey puck for Brandon. Well his sister commented and said "I don't think you should be doing that f or a wedding cake, don't you want something more traditional?" I said "No, this is our wedding, and this is what we decided on." Well my mother and some other friends commented. She turned and said that I need to have a more traditional cake because I don't wanna look back on my day and be upset that I had a cake that's non traditional. She told me that I posted on FB for opinions, and she was going to post her opinions about the wedding because it's her brothers wedding, and her husband is the best man, so her opinions matter.

I said "Thanks for your opinion, but I didn't really care if her husband was the best man, it wasn't her wedding, and she didn't need to be negative."I did delete her off FB.

Well his mom and sister, got upset with me and him of course, and his mom told him that I was ruining the family.

His mother hasn't even called him or spoke to us in weeks.

How do you deal with bad in laws?

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Bump

I hope you get some helpful advice!

I've never met my in law and likely never will. Don't talk to her either.

Mom2Addison12
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I can't stand her to be honest.

But I've tried to include her in bridal shows, but she never wants to do them. She went to a dress fitting once with us, and talked about his sisters wedding the entire time!

But I am nice to her face.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 22, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Well at least you're trying. It sounds like she's not.

Mom2Addison12
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Nope she's not.

He says not to worry about it. But we need to sit down and talk about this.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM
You tried and they need to get over it. At some point ya just got to stand up to them which you did! They will either get over it and support your soon to be hubby or won't! Let's hope they will! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Good job standing up for yourself. Just remember to continue to do so.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM
Ack, I have no real advice. My ex- in laws constantly felt the need to overstep their boundaries. Its always a sticky situation.
Just keep sticking up for yourself and hopefully your DF is doing the same.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YoshiTheZombie
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:59 PM

When grandpa found out my mom was marrying my dad, he didn't talk to either one of them for MONTHS.  He didn't say a word to my mom.  The wedding was going down.. he wasnt there..

At the last minute, he shows up to walk her down the aisle and tells her he loves her and later congratulates my dad.  

Its just a lot for some families to handle.   

Mom2Addison12
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:15 AM

I know what part of the problem is, his mom refuses to let go.

He used to be a mommas boy, but that has changed, thank god to be honest with you. Because before when we were together, he would come over after school, and she'd call, and he'd jump up and leave right away. But since then it's changed.

And I think that's what her problem is. And she doesn't like me. But he did set her straight, and told her that me and Addison make him happy. He is adopting Addison, and she doesn't like that either.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:13 AM
I'm sorry your mil is such a pain in the ass. My fiances mom was so pushy with her views about breastfeeding when I was pregnant that I almost didn't wwant to breastfeed my son. She was always telling me how I had to do it otherwise I would be a maternal failure and bringing a worlds supply of breastfeeding how to books to me and shoving them in my face. Good for you for sticking up for yourself. Its probably just best to sort of let it go for now. If she wants to be a part of her sons life and wedding she will ge over it. Hope it all works out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN