Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holidays. ?'s

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello moms!

I just wanted to know what you all do as far as the holidays go, starting from the day before to the holiday itself?

Also, for New years HOW do you spend it, with or without your children & WHY do you do what you do?

Just curious. =)

by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Thanksgiving we just go to my moms to eat =)

Christmas we go to my moms on xmas eve then again xmas day for a family meal then to my dads. Of course we open gifts here in the morning.

New years - my dh is British so in England families would get together for a big meal that day. I never did or heard of anything like that til I got married. My dh cooks. We don't do anything new years eve - we don't drink.

BellaMama7
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 5:52 PM

thats good that you guys have plans, sounds like it'll be fun! New years eve always seems to be such an interesting night, because a lot of people do things differently because of having children. Thanks for responding to my post. =)

mommyinindiana
by Member on Nov. 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
thankgiving and cgristmas we do meal with dh's family. New years eve is my youngests birthday so we will be spending it at home with the kids with cake & ice cream
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaMama7
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Awe that definitely sounds exciting.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Well What do you do over the holidays?

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM

The day before is spent baking. The holiday itself we smoke the ham and take it to mil's house. It's more or less a pot luck. New years we stay home we may or may not stay up for the ball dropping at midnight our time. Once you've seen it at 11 there isn't much point. We spend it with our children. We not really into the party thing.

BellaMama7
by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Thats certainly good stuff!

For our family it depends on the holiday, Because i asked my husband about starting a new tradition about cooking to, since i enjoy it so much. For thanksgiving we always go to my husbands grandma's house with our kids & My in laws, which is a big deal.. Tonight ill be taking my kids to my moms house. Christmas eve we go to my aunts and then out to my husbands sisters house, christmas this year were staying home. New years im not exactly sure yet, because now our kids are getting older so i may plan a party with friends of mine that have children so it can be exciting for them..

Thank you moms for answering I was just curious, I know that some people go by culture/Tradition & Beliefs so i was just wondering. =)

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Nov. 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

To further my answer since you mentioned cultures. My in-laws are Native American, a very close knit family/community, anyone within a 2 hour drive comes to the holiday dinners. Through the course of the day we will have anywhere from 30 to 50 people eating. It takes 2  20lb turkeys, a 20 lb ham, and a meatloaf along with the sides to feed everyone. Dishes are done throughout the day to make sure there is a plate available because we never know when someone else will walk in. We eat around 12:30 and catch up with each other till around 6 when people start going home. Sometimes we'll do a name drawing for secret Santa for Christmas. You don't know who got your name until you get your present.

BellaMama7
by on Nov. 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Tight knit families are always a wonderful thing to have, even if that means friends are included =)

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Thanksgiving and Christmas we have dinner at home or at another family home.
New Year's is church or just stay in and see the new year in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)