Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I feel like a bad Mommy!

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am going to start by saying that I know I am not a bad mother...but today I feel like I had an epic fail.

A little background to set the scene. We were about to venture out to do some shopping and the girls and I were downstairs. I had forgotten something upstairs and decided to quickly run up the steps to get it.

McKenzie is 15 months and is running all over the place. She is very quick and very smart so that makes her double trouble for her age. We do have a gate downstairs the blocks her from getting into the foyer. It is the kind that you screw into the wall and it has a locking mechanism when you shut it. Well since I knew I was going to run up and run back down I shut the gate but didn't lock it. In the time it took me to shut the gate behind me, run up the steps (our bedroom is literally at the top of the steps), grab the item off the bed and turn to run back down, McKenzie had pushed the gate open and climbed three steps. She is only a climber, she doesn't know how to walk up the steps nor go down the steps at all. The moment that she saw me she stood up and turned around like she was on a flat surface. She immediately took a tumble, striking her head on the step and falling to the floor beneath.

Our steps are wooden and non-carpeted. I immediately screamed (probably bloody-murder) and ran down to her. She was screaming and crying like you would do if you had just fallen down the stairs. She cried and sobbed for about a half-hour. Then she went back to her normal playing and her normal self. I called the doctor and she was convinced she "bounced" and should be just fine.

We had a normal afternoon and she went to bed almost immediately after we returned home from the store. I was concerned about what to do during the night for fear that she might go to sleep and not wake up so I called the doctor again for reassurance. She again thought she would be okay. She does have quite a battle scar on her face and near her eye. To make matters worse, my husband is at work today and my MIL was there to "hear" the fall and my scream. I am sure she is thinking I am a bad mother. We sometimes don't see eye to eye on things so I am assuming that is going through her mind. (She once said that if I let my daughter go to bed without brushing her teeth, and let her teeth rot and I wanted to live like "trailer trash" then that's my life).....so of course I am sure this just puts more on her plate.

I know that her fall was totally my fault and knowing that McKenzie is too smart for her own good, I should have known to shut the gate!!!! UGH....I know we can't change what has happened and I will definitely learn from this but......

I FEEL LIKE A BAD MOM FOR LETTING IT HAPPEN!!

*tears* -- Cat

by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
abmaddox1981
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Its okay, we all have days like that! Hope she's okay!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Things happen. We all have just run in for a second and luckily for most of us nothing happened during that second. I'm sure your dd is fine. LOs are pretty sturdy. I would ignore the mil.  =)

momma4AJ
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM
she'll be ok, kids are tough...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM

live and learn. It happens to the best of us. mil will probably keep her mouth shut until the scare is past, but I would expect some kind of snarky remark.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM
That's only the first of many falls. :-( My 16 month old can trip over her own shadow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN