Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's Best For First Timers?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hubby and I want to get a credit card to start building credit. We already know to only buy small stuff that we already have the money for and pay it off right away. But we don't want annual fees (why pay to spend money?) or high interest rates, etc. 

What's the best credit card for people who've never had one before?

I'm just a tad obsessed with penguins...
its a girl Due: Dec 4

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lette_with_2
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM

bump. me and my df want to get one too. we are going to use it simply for gas and pay it off weekly

xanthian41691
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Same here, we just want to have *a* credit score LOL

Quoting lette_with_2:

bump. me and my df want to get one too. we are going to use it simply for gas and pay it off weekly

Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM
Personally, and don't quote me on this, I was told by a attorney who deals with Bankruptcy to try getting a small card ($500) from your bank first. However most do charge annual fees so I know that's a negative. We had a Citi card and the customer service was great, no issues and bc my dh has good credit he had no annual fee and his interest was a low rate! I think each company has its perks so research and I'm sure u will find what's best for u! With that being said, I worked for American Express and they were awful. My mother is disabled and my father lost his job and they have a american express card. Worst customer service ever! My mom tried to get them to agree to work with a credit company for them and they denied. A managers exact words were...why don't you get a job or better yet get your a** of the couch and take everything you bought on this card back! I couldn't believe it! Now I only worked for their rewards program but that was a mess too! My advice is just stay the heck away from them! Hope ya find what your looking for! : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a capital one with rewards.  I pay an annual fee of $39, but I get cash back and have received $300 in cash so far this year without paying a dime in interest because I pay everything off as I spend it, not at the end of the month.  Once a week or every two weeks, I pay it off because I don't buy unless I have the cash.  This card just makes me want to use it instead of another or my debit because of the cash back.

xanthian41691
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Wow I'm so sorry your mom had to deal with that! That's an awful way to treat their customers!

Quoting Pammi86:

Personally, and don't quote me on this, I was told by a attorney who deals with Bankruptcy to try getting a small card ($500) from your bank first. However most do charge annual fees so I know that's a negative. We had a Citi card and the customer service was great, no issues and bc my dh has good credit he had no annual fee and his interest was a low rate! I think each company has its perks so research and I'm sure u will find what's best for u! With that being said, I worked for American Express and they were awful. My mother is disabled and my father lost his job and they have a american express card. Worst customer service ever! My mom tried to get them to agree to work with a credit company for them and they denied. A managers exact words were...why don't you get a job or better yet get your a** of the couch and take everything you bought on this card back! I couldn't believe it! Now I only worked for their rewards program but that was a mess too! My advice is just stay the heck away from them! Hope ya find what your looking for! : )

mrsnoble2004
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I would start with something like a store credit card. Use it for small purchases and pay the balance off when you get the bill or pay a little more than the minimum payment so you are paying on more than just the interest.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:00 PM

It's been soooo long since I started out I don't even know. But the bank credit card and store credit cards are a good idea. Your credit line usually isn't very much just incase you lose control =) so if you just plan to make small purchases and pay off right away you won't have to pay interest. Trust me the credit card companies will find you after that. You won't have to hunt around for a new card, they will be hunting you.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Not sure....I would love to have a Walmart Card though.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM
Talk to our bank and see if they offer a credit card. That way you can set it up to have the payment automatically transfered from your account.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Bree
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM

My best advice is to get a prepaid debit card that allows you to have your purchased rep[orted as credit and shows a positive rating on your credit report. I have seen a few recently. I think Rush card is one... not sure about that but you can google build credit prepaid cards and see what pops up. I think these are less tempting than having a fulline of credit at your disposal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN