Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Craigslist

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

This is a two fold post - one as a warning and the other a vent.

I have been really lucky to have been a stay at home Mom for most of my daughter's life (she is now 16) but after losing our company I need a job!

It seems more times than not when I apply through Craigslist for a position (just simply an assistant) they turn out to be a scam!!!  Yesterday almost immediately I got a response and googled the guys name.  Sure enough people were posting they had been scammed.

What happened to the old days where you applied for a job - they called you and set up an interview if they liked you they made you an offer???  Either it is agencies who are looking to fill positions for other companies or they are scams or no one ever responses to your application.

Unfortunately being out of the work place and no degrees isn't helping either.

Thanks for listening

Maureen

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Beth
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I understand your frustration, not from my personal experience, but from hearing others. It sounds like Craigslist can be a hard place to find much that is legitimate.

I'm glad you are checking people out in advance though. Over this past week I read where people close to where I grew up have been found murdered and all had applied to the same job on Craigslist. I don't say that to scare you but either. Just keep being careful!

I miss the "good old days" too. When people were more honest. =)

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I hope you find something soon. I've Never been on Craigslist so I can't talk about that. Good Luck!

jessicaaris
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM

It is hard. I love craigslist but I don't use it for jobs, they are just too sketchy these days. A few months ago I posted something to sell and someone asked a questions about it and I responded and then I got bombarded with work from home emails. So ridiculous!

Keepdreaming13
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Oh my I know you didn't mean to scare me but I am really scared now.  I think I am going to stay away from there.

Indeed.com has been my other place but I find those ads are mostly agents looking to fill positions with people who have degrees and haven't been out of the work place for 14 years. :)  

SAHMLovinit
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM
My recommendation to people now a days is to start at the bottom and go through a staffing agency. I know it doesn't sound like fun, but if you are desperate (not saying you are, just in general) then they could be the quickest way. Once you get a job with them then you can look for the job you want. That is what I did, but I got lucky and liked the job I ended up at. Craigslist is mostly a joke lately. I heard that some people who are also looking for jobs will post ads as an employer looking for employees so they can either get your information or just size up the competition. I do not know what truth is behind this, but just be careful how much information you send out.

christmas treewreath

MissyB1011
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I actually have had better luck finding jobs thru temp agencies. They test you and see what you're abilities are. They are very helpful in matching you up to a company that may be a really good fit with you. I've had a couple of duds, but most of my experiences were great.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM
I could never give away personal info on craigslist. There are just to many scammers and crazy people on there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Never give personal infor on cl. Scammers out of this world! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I hear your frustration.  To let you know, not all ads on Craigslist are scams.  My company almost exclusively hires through Craigslist.  Either that or referrals.  We no longer spend money advertising when CL is right there.

Keepdreaming13
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I am with 3 temp agencies right now.  Last month I actually went on an interview through one of their other offices.  They found me!  Anyway did the interview was told it was supposed to be a temp but when I got in the interview she told me it was full time - so excited.  Came out of interview - agency called said "they loved you and it is full time and you start in two weeks.  The day before the agency called me and was furious apparently the person they were going to fire they decided to keep - but they loved me!  Alot of good that did me.  In the last year since I have been trying to get back into the work force each one of my experiences has been crazier than the last one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN