Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I'm super excited but feel a little guilty too! (A little long)

Posted by   + Show Post

First, a little back story. I have a niece who is 6. Her "Mom" left her a couple of years ago and my niece is lucky if she talkes to her on the phone once every couple of months. Her Dad has been in jail a couple of times and thinks dealing drugs is a good way to make money. They live with my MIL who helps raise my niece which is great, but she goes from wanting to have everything to do with my niece to nothing. My DH and I have made it completely clear to EVERYONE that if something happens to her Dad (jail, etc.) that we will raise her... as her "Mom" and Grandma have both made comments at times that they "don't want her". Which I have to say I really don't get why!!! She is the sweetest, smartest little thing!

So, my niece LOVES Big Time Rush. And they did a concert here over the summer that her Dad said he would take her to. Well, the line for tickets was "to long" so he didn't even try to get the tickets. She was devistated. It broke my heart to see her fight back the tears when he told her they weren't going. Anyway, Big Time Rush is coming back in February (her birthday is also that month) and I bought tickets to take her. My plan is to give them to her for Christmas (I will keep them though cuz I can just see them getting lost or her Dad selling them for money). And on her birthday which is just a 10 days before the concert I was just going to give her a card and tell her I will buy her something at the concert.

Now I'm starting to feel a little guilty. I know she will love the gift. But I feel like I should give her more. She doesn't get much from anyone else in her family. And at 6 even though she will be excited about the concert that will wear off quickly and I don't want her to feel bad when she doesn't have anything else to open both on Christmas and her birthday. Am I thinking to much into it? Or should I get something else even if it's small? I should say I spent almost $100 on the tickets. And the night of the concert if we don't go to dinner I'm sure I will at the very least buy drinks when we are there which is another expence. Plus gas to get there (it's at least 45min. away). An older kid may get how expensive a gift like this actually costs but at 6 I know she doesn't have a clue. I just feel like she is one of my kids and that I am ripping her off by only getting her the tickets and a t-shirt or something at the concert. If I don't get her anything else maybe I should at least get her something from my kids?

Thanks for reading!

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM
Replies (11-11):
CL6S
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I think I will at least do a little something else for her. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN