Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Can You Tell Me?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 8:54 AM
  • 15 Replies

What should I expect? I'm being induced at 8pm tonight (medical reasons, not elective) and I want to know what to expect. I've heard the pitocin makes your contractions worse and induction raises the chances of ending in a c-section

by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Good luck =) how exciting. I don't really have much advice. I think I'm a freak. I had pitocin and never even had a contraction. I never labored at all. My water broke and that was it. Nothing happened. 36 hours later they gave in and did a csection.

xanthian41691
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM

*really don't want a c-section* =/ Then again I REALLY didn't want stretch marks and now I have those in abundance xD lol That does scare me though, the thought of a c-section

Quoting goddess99:

Good luck =) how exciting. I don't really have much advice. I think I'm a freak. I had pitocin and never even had a contraction. I never labored at all. My water broke and that was it. Nothing happened. 36 hours later they gave in and did a csection.

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 1, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I wasn't scared at all. I wanted a csection from day 1. I couldn't imagine (still can't) pushing out a child. Plus my dd was 9#7oz no thank you lol

xanthian41691
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Oh wow! lol My friend just had her baby girl last night and said "Honestly it was the worst pain I've ever had, and that was just the contractions! The labor was 500x worse! Especially cuz I wasn't able to get any rest since it was sooooo fast, and no pain medicine lol! I am better now just sore and tired, eyes is swollen from pushing still"

Quoting goddess99:

I wasn't scared at all. I wanted a csection from day 1. I couldn't imagine (still can't) pushing out a child. Plus my dd was 9#7oz no thank you lol

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep see.. no thank you. I'd rather be numb from the neck down and then once the Morphine kicks in afterwards - you're go to go.

Quoting xanthian41691:

Oh wow! lol My friend just had her baby girl last night and said "Honestly it was the worst pain I've ever had, and that was just the contractions! The labor was 500x worse! Especially cuz I wasn't able to get any rest since it was sooooo fast, and no pain medicine lol! I am better now just sore and tired, eyes is swollen from pushing still"

Quoting goddess99:

mistynights234
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

As you can see All births are different. They call it "labor" for a reason lol.  Its not fun.  Some women take it alot harder then other women.  I had pitocin with both of my girls.  Labor was about 16 hours for both, half the time 8hours being uncomfortable.  I did opt for all the pain meds they could give me.  I prefer not to enjoy the pain of child birth lol.  They did end up having to turn all pain meds off at the end with my youngest dd so I did feel the full effects.  It wasnt fun but.......after your child is born, you know it hurt like heck but honestly the pain doesnt generally stay with you.  Its a memory quickly forgotten. 

I hope for a quick healthy delivary.  The best of luck and think about what the outcome is and try not to dwell on the bad stuff! 

mamacalifornia
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I had pitocin with both my kids and to be honest with you my contractions we very incomfortable from about an hour after they started it. I had no drugs with dd but I did with ds only because I wound up throwing up for 3 hrs before I started pushing and I couldn't handle the pain along with vomiting! Oh and my dd's labor was 36 hrs but for the first 24hrs they started me off with cytotech and ds was 16hrs

Good luck!!

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM
With my youngest the pitocin was started on monday morning. She was born wednesday at 7:32 pm. Honestly, it could go really slow or really fast. Everyone labors so different. Its even different with each child.

She was 9 lbs 6 oz and 22 in. I was also induced because of medical issues. They pushed for a c-section and I refused one.

It surely won't be easy. But, its all worth it in the end. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I've never had pitocin before giving birth. I can tell you from experience that contractions hurt more after your water breaks. So if there is an option I would keep that intact until the last possible moment. Had all 3 of my girls natural because my labors are too fast.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I agree....I had inductions twice.....and both of them were different.....thankfully all went ok...my 1st one started at about 6am and had ds at about 2pm....2nd one started about 8am and had ds right before 8pm.

Quoting splatz:

With my youngest the pitocin was started on monday morning. She was born wednesday at 7:32 pm. Honestly, it could go really slow or really fast. Everyone labors so different. Its even different with each child.

She was 9 lbs 6 oz and 22 in. I was also induced because of medical issues. They pushed for a c-section and I refused one.

It surely won't be easy. But, its all worth it in the end. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)