Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

At what age is physical punishment ok?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:11 PM
  • 115 Replies
I saw someone saying they "pop" their 14 month old in the mouth for screeching. Do you feel like hitting a child in the mouth is an appropriate punishment for a child that age?

What would you do in this case? Ignore, redirect, punish, etc?

Fyi... This isn't me that is doing this. I understand that screeching is a normal (yet annoying) part of toddler behavior. That's how mine tends to communicate her frustration also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BLUMENSH9
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM
6 moms liked this

I too know someone that was doing this, I pointed out how it could be seen as child abuse very easily because if you hit just a tiny bit too hard you can bust their lip on their teeth or worse you can break their teeth. I will NOT allow someone to hit their kid in the face at my house for any reason. If you feel you need to spank them then smack their butt or hand NOT their face. My house is a NO hitting zone. I don't want my LO to think that it is okay to hit therefore I don't and if you can't visit without hitting your kid then don't visit my house. Just my opinion.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:27 PM
14 moms liked this

Honestly I don't think popping someone is the mouth is acceptable at any age.

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM
5 moms liked this
To me... Hitting teaches hitting. Especially at the toddler age.
And being annoying is a toddlers job. Screeching comes with the territory. To me its a normal (annoying) thing that doesn't deserve punishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok I guess I don't know what the word pop actually means. If they mean that they lightly tapped the child's lips with their finger tips to get them to stop screeching then fine, but if pop means smack then that's not ok.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Dec. 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM

for me popping me the mouth is a hard smack.

Quoting goddess99:

Ok I guess I don't know what the word pop actually means. If they mean that they lightly tapped the child's lips with their finger tips to get them to stop screeching then fine, but if pop means smack then that's not ok.

Tinkerbug85
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I think it's NEVER  ok to hit a child in the mouth/face, no matter what the infraction.  With our 13 month old, when she's screeching or being too loud we tell her NO, quiet down. For grabbing things she's not supposed to (like pushing buttons on our computers or grabbing remotes or trying to grab our drinks) we will tell her NO (and explain why it's a no-no), and we stick to verbal three times. Usually she gives up by then, but a fourth time gets her a light swat on the hand (not enough to hurt anything more than her feelings). General misbehaviour gets the same treatment, only if we give her a swat it's on her butt and also not enough to hurt.

Once she's old enough to realize what a time out means, we will use that as main punishment. But it's of little use when she can't even sit still for 5 seconds to take a picture. But there's a huge difference IMO between a light swat and hitting a child. The aim is not to hurt your child, just to let them know they did something wrong

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I try avoiding any sort of smacking. At a year redirection works best, not hitting. Most one year old's are at that stage where they will mimic their punishment bc they think it's ok to act like that. Verbal explanation tends to work because by the time you're done, they can't remember why they were doing what they were doing. ;) lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

it is never ok to hit anyone in the face no matter the age. redirect, time out, take away a privilege. 

Hesmynavyman
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I personally as a mother of a 2 yr old, I do not hit my daughter in the mouth! I don't flick it or hit her mouth. My friend she flicks her 8 month old, also at the age of 1 now she is also does it, and the hand! :( She hates screaming. But I don't think it's nice! She does the pop I've seen it at her house. Itold her oh No i don't do that to my daughter! And you should just flick the hand if she gets into something dangerous or big trouble. I don't do that!I do time out or a small little spankin on the bottom and a No no that's not okay,. but never a pop!!!

JTnJT
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I would NEVER hit a child in the mouth or face....that's why their bottoms are so well padded!  But that is just my opinion

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)