Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Couple leaves 4 year old at Walmart

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 7:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
4-Year-Old Left at Store Proves Parents Are More Messed Up Than Ever

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on Dec 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM

It seems safe to say that the lost/abandoned/runaway/home alone toddler trend is reaching epic proportions. Hey, I'm a mom. I understand that kids are quick and sneaky and sometimes they dart away the second you turn your back and they're really good at finding hiding places. But losing a 4-year-old at Walmart at 2:30 a.m. and not bothering to call the police until 4:10 a.m.? What were these parents, high?

Yes, of course. On bath salts and painkillers, apparently. Which probably explains why in addition to forgetting their kid, Jordon E. Finehout and Jessica N. Fleenor of Kingsport, Tennessee, also forgot to fill their gas tank.

At least that made it easier for police to catch up with the couple, who had their 1-year-old child in tow. Phew! We remembered one of 'em!

They also remembered their stash of synthetic marijuana, thankfully.

So, I'm afraid the world just isn't safe for toddlers anymore.

I know, it's not like we were living in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood before, exactly. Still, the economy is abysmal. People are miserably, desperately broke. As a consequence, they're seeking escape in weirder, cheaper, more physically harmful/insanity-causing substances than ever. Narcotics agents and poison control experts aren't even completely sure what "bath salts" are (they sure as heck ain't actual bath salts, though), let alone what they do to the human body. We do know that most "bath salts" contain a synthetic stimulant called MDPV, but "illegal street chemists" are busting out new variants of the chemical all the time, which makes testing and control a challenge.

Things were bad enough when unhappy parents were dulling their pain by dipping into the cooking sherry before lunch or tossing back a couple extra "mother's little helpers." I'm not condoning that behavior, just making a point: Symptoms of bath salt use include hallucinations, psychosis, agitations, and suicidality. Oh boy! Bath Salts are to Meth what Pepsi is to Coca-Cola!

Good lord, the 4-year-old was probably safer hanging out at Walmart by himself than he would've been in mommy and daddy's van.

I almost hate to point out this problem because I don't have a solution. I don't have the slightest idea how to fix this downward-spiraling society or save the innocent little kids who keep getting pulled into the vortex of doom. Still, it's worth bringing up if for no other reason than this: I have to believe we're collectively more likely to give a damn about why people like Jordon Finehout and Jessica Fleenor are obliterating themselves with toxic waste if there are children involved. And figuring out how to help messed-up parents is the first step in giving their kids a shot at a decent future.

Why do you think more and more kids seem to be getting lost and abandoned?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrsnoble2004
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Because the punishments aren't big enough

Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Because any idiot can have a child! And the punishment it lacking. I can't believe the world we live in!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyWeston
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Because some people can care less about their kids

Mrs.wilcox01
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:25 PM
Thats got to smell and feel good....not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 9:26 PM
How sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Parents seem too busy to be parents, too preoccupied, too busy being idiots, ...

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Amen

Quoting goddess99:

Parents seem too busy to be parents, too preoccupied, too busy being idiots, ...

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 6, 2011 at 7:40 PM
I agree, its sad.

Quoting goddess99:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)