Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Frustrated to the point of tears. Doctors don't give a crap!

As many of you know, I had surgery on Friday morning.  When I was released, I was given a list of reasons to call my doc's answering service and/or go to the e.r.   Saturday, my top incision was BRIGHT red and I was in EXCRUTIATING pain, the "pain med" he prescribed for me was NOT working AT ALL.  So I called the answering service, to ask the nurse about the incision (I was worried about infection).  I couldn't speak really loudly, but loud enough that any normal person would have been able to understand me just fine.  She interrupted me to ask me to speak up because she was in a noisy restaurant. :O  EXCUSE ME??  She needed to go to a quieter part of the restaurant or step outside.  When she's on call, and getting paid for it, that needs to be her first priority.  When she finally understood what I was telling her, she got a pissy tone in her voice asking if it smelled bad, if it was oozing.  I said no.  She said that there was nothing to worry about, and hung up.  :(  I didn't even get to ask her about the pain med.

Yesterday, the pain was still pretty bad, pain meds still weren't working, so I called the answering service again.  When I discovered that the same nurse was on call, I started crying and said "forget it".  I looked up the med online and it is nothing more than an anti-inflamatory most commonly prescribed for menstrual cramps.  :O  WTF???!!!!  Like that's going to take care of surgical pain??!!!  Gimme a break!!!  *side note: I asked specifically to NOT be put on Percoset (sp?) because I was on it one other time and I HATED it.  I don't remember the five days I was on it, and appearantly I became violent while I was on it, and I don't remember it.* 

Anyway, I went to the e.r..  I explained my pain to the nurse, and the doc started me on iv fluids.... SIGHT UNSEEN.   I was asking what that was being used for, and the tech said to hydrate me because I might be dehydrated.  I said I'm not dehydrated, I'm drinking and peeing just fine.They kept trying to push meds in me too... the same one doc prescribed that didn't work.  Nurse said "they'll go in faster with the iv".  I looked at her and said "who cares if it goes in faster if it doesn't work?"  They kept arguing with me, and trying to get it put into my iv. *Mind you this is ALL BEFORE a blood test or UA*  Two hours later they FINALLY took me off the damn thing because I got to the point of getting rather bitchy.  Here's the kicker, I had to have a ct scan, the ct tech was in my room beside me going over what to expect with it, and talking about the dye they'll be putting in my iv.  As she's talking the RN is taking my iv out.  I asked her what she was doing, and she said she had the order to remove it.  I blatantly told her that no she didn't, and can she not hear the ct tech on the other side of the gurney?  So they had to poke me AGAIN to put in YET ANOTHER iv.  *I've had enough of needles at this point*

My problem with all of this is a total LACK of communication.  The doctor should be asking me questions BEFORE he orders a bunch of crap.  He didn't even come into the room before ordering this crap.  He didn't know a damn thing other than I had abdominal and chest pains (which never made it to the reports) and that I had surgery 2 days previous.  That's it.  Nothing else. 

I called doc's office today, and he had the nerve to tell me he prescribed what he did because I specifically asked for no narcotics.  I said NO, I asked to not have PERCOSET.  I said, I have never had any other narcotic.  I had percoset ONCE after a previous surgery and that's the one and only time I've EVER had one.  So I knew I didn't want THAT one.  He actually DEFENDED HIS NURSE!  Then he defended the er doc saying that I just made my case worse because I went to the er.  That I should have just talked to his nurse and I wouldn't have gotten upset.  I'm sorry, but NO.  I didn't want to talk to her again AT ALL.  I might interrupt sex this time or something. *rolling eyes*

So I'm going over my er papers today only to find out that they did in fact push in that damn anti-inflamatory that I specifically asked not to get.  I don't like taking meds anyway, for me that's a DEAD LAST resort.  I don't want that crap in my body if I don't absolutely NEED it.  I obviously don't want a med pushed on me if I already know from experience that it doesn't work.  It's not necessary.  I will be going to the hospital tomorrow, along with my er paperwork, and filing a formal complaint.  I am also currently looking for a different OB/GYN in a different office to do my post op appointment for me.  I'm fed up.  Literally in tears knowing that not only was I not asked any questions about my symptoms before any treatments were ordered, but also now knowing that I was given drugs that I refused MULTIPLE times. 

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Replies (11-12):
mdatca
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM

You should not be in that much pain from the procedures you had done.  I am assuming since you had breast implants put in place and had 3 kids you are familiar with pain.  You need to find someone who will listen.  I would call your insurance company (many have health lines) and get a referal from them.  I know when I was unhappy with a dr. and how he didn't listen to me my insurance company helped me out.  I didn't even call them they called me.  I guess it was routine for them to call and check on you and when they did I cried and broke down and they jumped right in.  If your insurance company doesn't have that then ask family and friends about their docs.  Did you go to the same hospital you had your surgery at?  Maybe try one your doc doesn't have privledges to so they don't consukt him.  I hope you find someone who will help you out.

praisinghim2day
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:26 PM

That's exactly what I thought. I am definitely familiar with pain lol.  I don't remember much from the first five days after the breast aug, but I do remember not being able to wash my own hair, pump my own soap, had to sleep sitting up for a couple weeks (implants are under the muscles)... etc (that's when I had the percoset).  You just don't realize how much you use those chest muscles until you can't! The pain isn't nearly as bad today.  Now I'm just achy and still feeling some discomfort from the gas they blew me up with.  Inscisions are still pretty tender.  But I did go back to work today, and it went rather well. 

The er visit was the same hospital as the surgery, I figured that would be best (amazing experience up on the surgical unit... just phenominal!).  I did talk to a patient advocate today and she was completely in agreeance with me.  She thought it was horrible that the doctor treated without seeing or talking to me.  She said that this report would be going to the head of the hospital administration and she's also going to check with billing to make sure my insurance doesn't get charged for the fluids or the pain med (if they get charged for it, that's insurance fraud!!)  She apologized all over herself and she said that she felt horrible that they will be making an example out of me, but she feels like er staff needs to go through some special training dealing with communication and patient's rights. :) 

I've had several of my girlfriends suggest different GYNs for me.. so I'll be making some calls in between clients tomorrow :) 

Quoting mdatca:

You should not be in that much pain from the procedures you had done.  I am assuming since you had breast implants put in place and had 3 kids you are familiar with pain.  You need to find someone who will listen.  I would call your insurance company (many have health lines) and get a referal from them.  I know when I was unhappy with a dr. and how he didn't listen to me my insurance company helped me out.  I didn't even call them they called me.  I guess it was routine for them to call and check on you and when they did I cried and broke down and they jumped right in.  If your insurance company doesn't have that then ask family and friends about their docs.  Did you go to the same hospital you had your surgery at?  Maybe try one your doc doesn't have privledges to so they don't consukt him.  I hope you find someone who will help you out.

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN