Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Letting Grandparents handle Xmas

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM
  • 22 Replies

My kids have four sets of Grandparents who go over board when it comes to Christmas.We are always the ones stuck traveling to do Christmas with all the sides of family and with gas going up it will cost us around 200. to 300. in gas alone. That takes all our Christmas money right there. I know what the kids are getting from their Grandparents and it's a lot really nice stuff that they will love. So this year I am going to let them spend their money on gifts and we will spend ours on gas. I will still have Santa leave gifts in the stockings, that will be a nice surprise for the kids when we get home.

I do feel really bad that we don't have Christmas at our house and we are hoping to move back to MI so we can start our own family traditions and visit family after.

by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 7, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I live in MI.

My dd has several grandparents too, so I understand your thinking. I'm sure they will have a wonderful Christmas.

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Dec. 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I wish my kids had grandparents like that. My dad sends money when he can so I can buy the kids things. I don't even get so much as a phone call from anyone else.

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM
To me Christmas is about spending time with those you love. Not gifts.

But they are getting the best of both worlds. So I'm sure they will be happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FIREFOX1336
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

dh is overseas so i decided we arent doing christmas here without him, normally if i find something the kids will like or need i buy it for them so its not like they are deprieved, and their grandparents are getting them stuff. they wont know the difference

thislady02
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Quoting goddess99:

I live in MI.

My dd has several grandparents too, so I understand your thinking. I'm sure they will have a wonderful Christmas.

Yay, Michigan. We have been trying to move back for years. And the kids will have a wonderful Christmas they always do.

mumbosauce
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I let everyone know years ago that I will not travel on Christmas, we have 3 kids, and lugging around presents is a pain. We will travel Christmas eve or the day after, BUt that day, my kids are playing with their stuff. Its easier for Grandparents to travel, since they have no kids to lug around. Half the time when we would visit them all on Christmas, they had to leave the toys in the am after opening them and then leave the ones they got from the grandparents because we couldnt get everything in the car.

thislady02
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM

We do feel very lucky to have a wonderful family that will go over the top for the kids, it's something I didn't have growing up. I know that's why we travel every year and make sure the kids have a relationship with all sides of their family.

@ FIREFOX, I'm sorry your Dh is overseas. Waiting for him to have Xmas is a wonderful idea. My dad is overseas(5years in a row)  also and even though I'm an adult I still miss him dearly.

thislady02
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Quoting mumbosauce:

I let everyone know years ago that I will not travel on Christmas, we have 3 kids, and lugging around presents is a pain. We will travel Christmas eve or the day after, BUt that day, my kids are playing with their stuff. Its easier for Grandparents to travel, since they have no kids to lug around. Half the time when we would visit them all on Christmas, they had to leave the toys in the am after opening them and then leave the ones they got from the grandparents because we couldnt get everything in the car.

Next year we will be adopting this rule also. We are moving closer to home (were all our family is) and I can't wait to start some family traditions of our own. We just had our third and it's not as easy to travel with a new baby. But we are so used to it by now, it will be weird staying home next year.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 12:17 PM
We let everyone know this year that we aren't going anywhere. We are centrally located for all 3 sets of grandparents and we have a 5 month old, plus 2 older children. Everyone has ben very receptive to our plan and are coming here instead. We used to travel the day before, the day of and the day after to get all the grandparents but no more. It's easier for them to travel than us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 7, 2011 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I completely understand and I think your children will have a wonderful Christmas! This is our daughters first Christmas and I spent so much money only to find out so did both of here grandparents! I have no clue what to even get her for her birthday in May now! Happy holidays and hopefully you won't have to travel as much by next year!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)